We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Casselberry, Florida
3 posts
Save Topic
Concern about tropical storm Debby?

My family and I were supposed to be heading to Anna Maria for the weekend as a short, sweet vacation. But as we were seeing the weather we were concerned about all the floodings and such, that if it would affect our first time experience. I look at the weather and it seems to be sunny but than again, from the storm there could be seaweed and such on the shore which would ruin the whole experience. Should we cancel or go?

Southwest Florida
Level Contributor
206 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Depends on where you are staying. There is some beach erosion, but when the tide goes out it should be fine in most places. It is breezy but more and more sun.

My guess is that the weekend will be very typical late June - sunny am with 30-40% chance of hit or miss showers in the pm.

You can check local weather here:

Www.mysuncoast.com

See you on the beach!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,080 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

look to snn news 6 for local reports of beach erosion etc, but by the weekend the weather is supposed to be fab.

The storm has pretty much passed now, I am seeing some of the last bands of rain comong thru where I am right now, and the Skyway bridge has re opened.

Casselberry, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Im still a little unsure but thanks so much :D

Orlando
Level Contributor
10,318 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Seaweed or not, I would pick the Gulf over Casselberry lol

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

There is beautiful blue sky and most of the roads are dry. There will be some standing water for few days and some clean up to do but most signs of the storm, such as leaves and branches down will be cleaned up fast. All is good on AMI.

See you soon,

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,866 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Yep, typical hot humid and sunny day here too ... it's back to normal.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

It is that kind of really blue sky you only see after a storm. So clear, everything has greened up, beautiful!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

I think you should go (even though I'm not there so can't comment on current conditions). I'd take the possibility of an eroded beach with seaweed over Nebraska ANY day.

Casselberry, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

Thanks all of you so much :) I guess we'll surely be heading over this weekend now!

Edited: 27 June 2012, 23:27
Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
7 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Concern about tropical storm Debby?

we spent the entire week on the beach at AMI and weathered the storm. it was pretty intense and lots of discussion from locals that it was the worst tropical storm in years (one woman I spoke with who had lived there for 11 years said she was terrified on Monday am when I think the island collectively were awakened by howling winds and really pounding surf at 330) For 4 days we tried to make the best of things and finally on Wed and Thurs we were rewarded with 2 beautiful days and got to see the gulf we know and love so much. I hope you enjoy the weekend. I think the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. Tell the gulf hi from me and I miss her!!!

We even got to see turtles coming back to nest (although most of the estimated 150 nests were likely washed away...what a tragedy)

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria