We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AMI Surf Fishing in August

Germantown
7 posts
Save Topic
AMI Surf Fishing in August

Greetings! Saw another post about surf fishing in the spring (May) - what about in the dog days of summer, as in next week! My fam and I are headed down to AMI - we love surf fishing but are used to Mid-Atlantic surf off DE, MD and VA - any tips much appreciated! Thanks!

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Have never been to AMI in summer, but I think there should be snook in the surf. They are usually very close to shore, in the first trough. Early a.m & dusk best. For excellent advise & bait, check out Island Discount Tackle on Marina Dr. in Holmes Beach. Good luck!

Germantown
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

thanks!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

You had better be damn careful with the Snook. They are not legal anywhere until September. On the Gulf , I believe they are even more stringent with seasons. The slot size on those fish is also very small.

Whenever I have fished on the Gulf, I pretty much use the same thing as the ocean. A Gulf Rig or Pompano Rig, a pyramid weight, and some frozen shrimp. You can use the live stuff if you want something bigger. You don't need a very big weight in the Gulf either unless you fish near an inlet or where there is a big current.

You will need a license unless you fish at a licensed pier.

Licence and regs at www.myfwc.com

Germantown
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

i've learned from experience many many years ago to be careful, so thanks for the important reminder

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Lucky you to be there next week when its a full moon! Best fishing is around full moon and new moon. Full moon is next Wednesday. Best surf fishing would be dawn until about 8 am and then hour or two before dusk.

If you baitcast, I saw plenty of bait (shiners) in near shore when we were there the first week of August. You can get live bait at Island Discount Tackle or Annie's in Cortez. Also Rod & Reel Pier will have some too. Love the guys at Island Discount, everyone is so nice and all there can give great advice for fishing. Can get your 3 or 7 day license there too.

Maybe you want to check out a 1/2 day charter and fish for snook, seatrout, or redfish in the bay. We've fished with Sumotime fishing charters, but he might already be booked up next week. He posts on the boards here occasionally. Those full moon weeks probably book up though. In fact, the hubby and I like to fish so much, we time our trips now to coincide with the full moon :)

Any of the Captains out of Island Discount Tackle/Keyes Marina would be good I think. And there are a number of others if you search the boards here.

Germantown
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

thanks for the insight, i'm pumped now!

Germantown
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Just wanted to let folks know the fishing was great - my crew caught lots of large kingfish/whiting, catfish and a snapper, sheepshead and bonnethead shark. We used mostly frozen shrimp on bottom rigs because we weren't sure we could keep live shrimp alive between buying them and actually going fishing. If I had brought my cast net, we could have easily fished with "greenies" and hooked up with snook and jacks, which some of the locals were doing - all were clearly careful with the fish - even kissing them before putting them back in the water! We'll definitely be back!

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
362 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Awesome! Were you able to keep & eat anything? Thanks for the report.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Great to hear you had good fishing on your vacation! Its the full moon you had last week, I'm tellin ya!

Germantown
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: AMI Surf Fishing in August

Oh yeah! We kept all the larger kingfish, the snapper and the sheepshead, both of which were a couple inches over reg - my wife pan fries the fish in the morning for breakfast - fried hard like a cracker - sooo good!

Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria