We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

ny/nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

hi in 5 weeks we'll be traveling thru panhandle to New Orleans, its a foodie quest, wondering are oysters available in June? ideas on funky restataurants, unusual things to see and do

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

Hello, sounds like a fun trip... As of right now, the oil has stayed in the LA/Mississippi areas. We are hoping that St. George Island and Apalachicola will not be affected at all...

As far as funky restataurants, I would go to Boss Oyster in Apalach. Wonderful food all around and fabulous oysters in every fashion. This place is very casual old Florida style. If you are looking for something more upscale, that is available too... Boss is more of a local hangout where the boats pull up with loads of oysters and seafood- Yummy! Apalachicola is a historic town full of beauty and character. If you are into photography, the cemetary is beautiful with large oaks covered in spanish moss. Let me know how it goes. Have a safe trip!

ny/nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

thanks for your quick reply! i love oysters , not into fancy places so your suggestion sounds right up our alley. We are so overdue for a vacation, looking foward to a road trip vacation!

Rossville, Ga
Level Contributor
474 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

We will be heading down June 19th. Boss Oyster is always a must for us when we are in the area. Can't wait to hear what you think of the place. They have a website you can visit. The menu is posted so it should give you an idea of what to expect. Best wishes!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

Three other great funky restaurants are...

Up the Creek Raw Bar in Apalach over looking the water. I have never had a bad meal or appetizer here.

Eddy Teaches on St George Island. Very rustic and fun. They have the best oysters and the best tap beer selection.

Papa Joes in Apalach has great butter & parmeson oysters and excellent fried oysters. It also ovlooks the Apalachicola River.

ny/nj
Level Contributor
120 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

hey

thanks for all the great suggestions, any advice on where to stay, places within walking distance of these bars/restaurants?? we have never been in this part of Fl, so looking foward to exploring this area!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

In Apalachicola I would stay at either The Gibson Hotel or The Water Street Inn. Both very nice and clos to a lot of shops and restaurants.

On St George Island you could stay at the St George Inn or a number of condos or homes you can rent.

7. Re: has oil spill affected Apalachicola oysters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola