We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oysters??

Which Apalachicola hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockmart, GA
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oysters??

We have come down about twice a year for the last 12 years to enjoy the fishing and fresh oysters. I have been hearing we may be out of luck on the oysters in mid-August. Won't keep us from coming of course but it is the hi-light of my 74 year old fathers trip. The various wait staff is always amazed at how many dozens he can suck down. I am familiar with the hardship in the bay but I want to keep it real expectation wise for my dad. Thanks.

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oysters??

We had fried oysters at Owl Cafe on 7/30 and they were very delicious. Don't know where they were from but the folks at Up The Creek were getting theirs from Louisiana.

Rockmart, GA
Level Contributor
15 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oysters??

Thank you so much for your response. That fits in with what I have been hearing.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
882 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oysters??

A lot of us locals, don't eat oysters during the hotter months as the bacteria levels are much higher in the oysters when the water is warm, months that have an "R" in them is the time to eat oysters. As long as the oyster is cooked well, you should be OK, but don't take a chance on raw oysters during the hot months. It is kind of like playing Russian Roulette.

4. Re: Oysters??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 18:15
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola