We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Which Apalachicola hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Any other areas of interest? We are not a big party family. Looking for fun things to do during the day/evening. Any other areas I should be looking? What is St Joe? San Blas? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

St. George Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Ever thought of looking at St. George Island? If your not a big party family, then St. George Island is your kinda place.

Port St. Joe and Cape San Blas are a little more to the west of Apalachicola, St. George Island is less than 8 driving miles away from Apalachicola.

Check our island information out.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34602-St_George_Isl…

Good Luck, and Enjoy your Stay !!!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

We are a Carmel family of 4, myself, my wife and 2 teenage daughters, 17 and 15. We want to rent a home on Cape Sans Blas and we have one identified. HOWEVER, my daughters are complaining that there won't be many kids there.

I don't want Destin or Pensacola, way to crowded, but I also realize that it is also my kid's vacation as well. Will there be families on Cape San Blas????

Any thoughts? We also looked at St George Island. Cape Sans Blas is cheaper, but there are only 2 restaurants on the Cape. There is more on St. George Island, but it is more expensive.

Thank you.

St. George Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

You may want to go out onto the Port St. Joe forum as there are more people in that forum who can answer your questions about the Cape from that forum. Port St. Joe is closest to The Cape and Mexico Beach. Apalachicola is closer to St. George.

Here is the link to the Cape forum.

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g34578-Port_Saint_Jo…

One of the houses that I have heard more about on "The Cape" is "The Cape Escape" house. It depends on if you are looking more for houses or condo's or townhomes, as to which area to choose. The Cape will typically have smaller houses and more condos and townhomes. I personally don't think there is as much stuff happening on the Cape as on St. George, just my opinion. I would say that what your daughters say is partially correct if they are teens. Both locations are no Spring Break hangouts, but I do think that they would have a good time, but just not to look forward to a party type atmosphere.

When you say St. George is more expensive, that depends on what you are looking for. While I am a little biased towards St. George, I have no reason to believe that St. George is any more expensive than the Cape on comporable rentals.

Tell me a little about what you are looking for and maybe I can point out some options that will fit in your line of what you are looking for.

Either way, I don't think you will go wrong with either destination.

Have a great Trip !!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Good morning, wow, you're my first reply. We are looking for a single family house. I have been to a number of the rental property websites as well as FloridaVacations.com and VRBO.com (Vacation Rental By Owner). We have seen many of the townhomes, some are nice, but I am concerned about hearing other people at all hours. We have a tentative hold on a home on Cape San Blas, Coral Palms, it has its own pool in case the Gulf is too chilly. It is about $1400 for the week. From your comments, I think I will take another look at St George Island. Any assistance you can provide is much appreciated. Enjoy your day.

St. George Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

OK--

1. How many bedrooms are you thinking that you are looking for?

2. When are your travel dates?

3. Does it matter about having a private pool? Is it heated?

4. Would you be bringing pets?

5. Does location matter alot, i.e. Beach Front / Bay Front or just Gulf Views?

The dates you need it will be the biggest factor. If you fall in mid season, you can get some good rates.

Here is a good place to start looking around for homes on St. George.

tripadvisor.com/Resources-g34602-Maps-St_Geo…

Scroll down under : Rental property / Timeshares / Property for sale.

One of the larger rental companies on St. George is Resort Vacation Properties. http://www.rvpsgi.com.

The other two companies are Collins Vacation Rentals and Anchor Vacation Rentals.

If you head over to the St. George Island forum, I have posted alot of good information there on St. George Island.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g34602-i4315-St_Ge…

While we didn't rate as one of the top beaches of 2002 by Dr. Beach like the Cape, we do still have our claim to fame in Franklin County where St. George is located, "We are the largest county in FL, but we don't even have a red light, and we have the world's smallest police station in Carrabelle."

Like I said, I don't think you'll go wrong at either place.

Hope this helps.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Thank you very much! I have spent about an hour this morning looking for a house on St George Island. We are looking to spend no more than $1300-$1400 including all fees, taxes, etc.

There are 4 of us, so minimum of 2 bedrooms, 3 would be nice. Pool is nice, heated is nicer. ALOT will depend upon price.

Closer to the Gulf is better, but we are all in good shape, 2 city blocks at most?

No pets, we are all non-smokers.

Thank you again.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Sorry, travel dates are March 31 through or to April 7

St. George Island
Level Contributor
528 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

Thank you very much! I have spent about an hour this morning looking for a house on St George Island. We are looking to spend no more than $1300-$1400 including all fees, taxes, etc.

There are 4 of us, so minimum of 2 bedrooms, 3 would be nice. Pool is nice, heated is nicer. ALOT will depend upon price.

Closer to the Gulf is better, but we are all in good shape, 2 city blocks at most?

No pets, we are all non-smokers.

Thank you again.

ok- that makes it a little tougher, but not impossible. That is high season with Spring Break.

Here is two to look at:

Bayside Oasis:$1195 a week includes fees just add 8% taxes

3beds/3 baths located in Gulf Beaches on the Bay Front, no pool, but does have a hot tub and free wireless and it's realtively new.

resortvacationproperties.com/vacationrentals…

& The Little Dipper: $1475 a week includes fees just add 8% taxes

3beds /2 baths located in the Plantation with Beach Access & Bay View. Has a community pool, screened porch, and is close to the bike path.

resortvacationproperties.com/vacationrentals…

If you call and try and reserve today they may go ahead and give you the early bird special of 5%, that special ended yesterday, so sweettalk them, maybe you can get it.

Both those proerties are covered by Resort Vacation Properties, their number is 1-877-272-8206.

Hopefully that will help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

WOW, thank you!!!

10. Re: Family interested in Spring Break, 2007, Mar 31-Apr 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Apalachicola