We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TicaBus

Chicago
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
TicaBus

Greetings all............

I am planning Ticabus travel from Guatemala city(GC) to Panama city(PC). I am planning to fly in GC from US stay there for couple of days and take Ticabus to PC and fly back to US from PC. I thought it will nice to ride in comfortable bus thru 6 Central American countries. I have seen Ticabus schedule and it stops overnight in El Salvador(San Salvador?) and

Nicaragua(Managua?). I have few questions.

1. First of all how safe the journey is from start to end?

2. When it stops overnight are there hotels nearby in these cities and how safe is it to go around in the evening from bus terminal to the hotel.

3. How easy or difficult it is to cross the borders from Guatemala-El Salvador-Honduras-Nicaragua-Costa Rica to Panama in Ticbus.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TicaBus

That bus ride looks pretty brutal.

Guatemala To El Salvador - 4hours (overnight)

El Salvador - Managua - 12 hours ( overnight)

Mangua - San Jose - 10 hours ( Overnight)

San Jose - Panama - 18 hours

Are you allowed to hop on the bus on different days...? The journey is safe..but i couldnt imagine being on a bus that long....

columbus,ohio
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: TicaBus

Hi I'm a 1st time traveler 2 honduras and I hate 2 fly this tica bus sounds interesting I've checked every site imaginable 4 alternate transportation,could u tell me more?I'm willing 2 take a regular bus 2 mexico and I'm not worried about the ride being so long as long as I stay on the ground.lol! my husband was recently deported and I miss him terribly but not even the thought of being w/out him will make me fly.lol! Any information on ground travel would b appreciated,oh I'm also traveling w/my 5lb chihuahua,please reply any and all w/info.Thanks 1st time traveler!

UK, the World
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TicaBus

I have just done this journey. Flew into Guatemala and then took the TicaBus to San Salvador and onwards to Managua, San Jose and ultimately Panama City.

The San Salvador leg was in "Tourist Class" and only 5/6 hours duration and the TicaBus was fine for that. For the other legs we took an "Ejecutivo" which was only a few dollars more - and quickly worked out the reason it was only a few dollars more was because the "Ejecutivo" Class had catering - you were given a Burger King or similar at breakfast/dinner time. I guess that would be fine if you can eat such disgusting trash but it's not my definition of "Ejecutivo" class. In fact it was same narrow seats and no more leg room/recline...

Anyway, in comparison with Hedman Alas, whom we took to Copan Ruinas from Guatemala City, TicaBus Ejecutivo seats were smaller, virtually impossible to sleep in and reclined less, and you have no choice but to be disturbed by the "entertainment" system as - unlike Hedman Alas who give individuals headphones - they turn the sound right up so you have no choice but to listen to bad mid 1990s Swedish Euro pop acts (yes, it was Ace of Base) and absurd movies about college American Football teams improving their results through belief in God. At 8am in the morning!

I think for me, if I were doing it again, it would come down to schedule. Tapachula (Mexico) to Guatemala and Guatemala to San Salvador are daylight 5-6 hour trips. Fine, bearable. The Ejectivo from San Salvador to Managua left at 3am and arrives at midday (if on schedule). Hmmmmm. Managua to San Jose is a continuation of the San Salvador bus and gets to San Jose around 9-10pm. OK. Ish.

San Jose to Panama City leaves at 11pm and arrived in Panama City at 4.30pm the next day as the driver was apparently on a go slow on the last leg (we were being overtaken by chicken buses) and frankly I had more fun lying soaked in my own sweat in a hospital bed with appendicitis on an intravenous drip - and was certainly more comfortable. In addition, the border between Costa Rica and Panama is an affront to civilisation, the Panamian side making prehistoric amoeba resemble intelligent life and to borrow a phrase, "I have seen more organised creatures lying on their backs at the bottom of ponds". Not that TicaBus could be blamed for that.

So in conclusion, I would have got a plane from San Jose to Panama - I don't care if it cost another £200, I would have got 12 hours of my life back - and possibly between San Salvador and Managua which was painful mainly due to there being 2 border crossings (El Salvador - Honduras - Nicaragua). And I would have researched more the offerings from alternatives (King Quality, Hedman Alas for example) to see if they offered a genuine "Ejecutivo" seat.

Edited: 22 July 2010, 21:46
4. Re: TicaBus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:15