We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Belize?

bklyn
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Which area of Belize?

I am thinking about planning a trip to Belize and need some recommendations on which areas to stay in. I would prefer to be on the coast but would also like to have access to cave tubing and the Mayan ruins. I would also prefer to be in a local town rather than a resort area. Any suggestions????

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of Belize?

Could really use some more information before recommending places to look at. A lot of people split their trip between inland (usually Cayo), and the beach, either Placencia or one of the cayes. The only really resorty area is San Pedro, but most of the "resorts" are under 20 rooms, and none are over 3 stories high (yet). You might take a look at San Ignacio, Pl;acencia, Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye, then ask away.

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of Belize?

On the coast (note I say 'coast' and not beach!), close to Maya sites and cave tubing, local town rather than a resort....

If you like 'off the beaten track' then take a look at Punta Gorda in the Toledo District - on the coast, access to the Cayes, jungle, caving, and Maya sites. If you do want beach, then combine it with Placencia - a 15 minute flight.

bklyn
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of Belize?

I was looking at Palencia, but wasn't sure if there was cave tubing there.

Punta Gorda, Belize
Level Contributor
66 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of Belize?

We went cave tubing in Blue Creek in Toledo, and they also have cave swimming. I'll double check for you, and try and get more details and guide prices.

bklyn
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of Belize?

That would be great. Thanks for all of your help.

6. Re: Which area of Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2007, 02:03
Stamford...
Level Contributor
574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of Belize?

Here's what we did:

5 nights at Maya Beach Hotel in Maya Beach (Near Placencia) - see my review under hotel review section; LOVED it! - Stayed there Sat - Thurs. They can book you cave tubing tours, but we opted to rent a car and do it ourselves later in the week as it was much cheaper this way. While there we did a Discover Scuba trip (booked through the hotel), and also went to Cockscomb River basin on our own and did the Tiger Fern trail which has gorgeous waterfalls and a swimming hole at the end. Loved both experiences.

Thurs morning we got up and went to Xunantunich. Did this on our own as well and also a great experience. We spent 1 night here near San Ignacio. We did not love our hotel here so I won't recommend one for you.

Fri morning we left for Jaguar Paw, which is back towards Belize City - we loved this resort as well. Absolutely top notch; great grounds, pool, helpful staff, fantastic room. We did the zip line and cave tubing tour through Jaguar Paw. Saturday am we got up and went to the airport..

This was a good division of our time we thought - got some relaxation and beach time in, and also some adventures. We loved Belize.. Can't wait to go back.

Have fun!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area of Belize?

San Ignacio town in Cayo has alot of character and a jumping off point to Tikal, Caracol, Xunantunich, Cahal Pech and oher local sites.

Hillview, Green...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area of Belize?

Well we serve tourists who split their week, or two weeks between Caye Caulker by the barrier reef and inland in the Cayo District which is the foothills of the Belize Alps.

Check out our sites:

folkmusicfl.tripod.com/adventuresinbelize

or just type Caye Caulker into GOOGLE, we have Tina's backpackers Hostel on the beach, some high end upscale condos and guest houses also, such as Auxillou Beach Suites, or Dianes Guesthouse, and out in Western Belize cater to adventurers mostly in their 20's and 30's trying to make the most of a short vacation from a hostel out West.

There are; for low budget travelers, seven hostels around Belize.

Here is the website: …tripod.com/hostelsandhotelsinbelize.

10. Re: Which area of Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 19:18