We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary/Accomodations help?

NYC
Level Contributor
60 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary/Accomodations help?

Hello,

I am planning a trip to Belize for me and my boyfriend in October. We'd like to do a combination of jungle/mainland activities (mayan ruins, the jaguar preserve, waterfalls, tubing), and water activities (snorkeling at the barrier reef, shark ray alley, maybe the Blue Hole). There is just so much great stuff to do in Belize, but I also want this to be a relaxing vacation, where we are not running around 24/7. What would be the best way to approach this? Is it feasible for us to stay in one place for the entire trip and do all of these activities? I was thinking of staying in the Cayo or Stann Creek districts as these seem to be pretty close to the mainland activities we'd like to do. But can we do Shark Ray Alley and the Blue Hole as day trips from those districts, or do we really need to be staying at one of the cayes for that?

Also, I'd love people's suggestions for activities that are close enough to each other to combine into one day.

Thanks for the help!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

When we did something like that, we split the trip between Caye Caulker and Cayo. If you preferred, you could go to Ambergris Caye instead. That is the most relaxing way in my opinion plus it lets you see more of the country.

From Cayo, we did Caracol and Tikal. We didn't have any interest cave tubing. We've been to the Jaguar Preserve but did that from Placencia.

If you want, check our website. There's trip reports and pictures and some planning information from our trip to Caulker and Cayo. That might help some.

www.alandsuejohnson.com

Belize link on the left

From the Cayes, you can also get to Altun Ha and Lamanai ruins. They're day trips. Nice ruins. Snorkeling is easy to set up from either Caye.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
191 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

Hope it's OK if I jump in on this question, too!

What about spending half a vacation in Ambergris Caye and half in Placencia?

Can we do a day trip to go cave tubing from one of these? And maybe to see ruins? We're scuba divers at heart so we want to stay on the coast the whole time, but we definitely want to consider seeing the inland as well since it's such a part of the country.

My geography is terrible, but the map seems to make it look like we'd be spending half in the northern area and half in the south.

Is flying or driving the best way to get from Ambergris to Placencia? Does anyone know to/from which airports we'd arrive/depart?

THANKS (for answering the most basic questions ever)!!!

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

I'd be inclined to pick between Ambergris Caye and Placencia. Then split the time between there and San Ignacio in the Cayo District.

If the ruins you want to see are Caracol or Tikal, you should be in Cayo. You can get to Xunantunich from Placencia as a day trip. You can get to Altun Ha or Lamanai from Ambergris as a day trip.

Cave tubing is out in Cayo as far as I know.

We once split a trip between Caye Caulker and Cayo and had a great time both places.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,923 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

We combined a trip between Placencia and Ambergris Caye a couple years ago. From there, we actually headed further up the coast into Mexico.

We were only in Placencia three nights, did the Monkey River tour, which was fun, although it poured for part of it.

We've toured the Lamanai ruins a couple times out of Ambergris. Long day, but a very good tour. I highly recommend Tanisha Tours.

They also do cave tubing excursions from Ambergris. They're expensive, you have to get back to the mainland for the tour.

We flew between Placencia and Belize City, would have loved to have taken the bus, but time was limited. Flying is relatively cheap and easy in Belize. Flights are very short, and you only need to be at the airport 30 minutes (actually you can get by with less) before your flight. Nothing like the hassles in the states.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

You can stay in Ambergris and go over to the mailand and do Cave Tubing, Maya Ruins and Zipline all in one day. Then relax and enjoy Marine Adventures, all the restaurants and spas that Ambergris has to offer. By the way if you are considering Blue Hole for snorkeling only, think again - 250 USD, up at 5am and back at 5pm, may not be worth the money and time commitment when you clearly want to relax. If you don't want to stay in Ambergris your entire trip then do split between a resort in Hopkins and one in Ambergris.

Boston...
Level Contributor
308 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

To answer the OP, it is not recommended to stay in the jungle area and get out to the ocean. You wouls spend more time trying to get there and back then actually snorkeling. As others have suggested, just split your trip. I have been to Belize twice and we always do it that way. Being an avid diver, I think the Blue Hole is a neat dive, however it's definitely NOT worth the $$ for snorkeling. The best part of the BH is around 120' and you won't get snorkeling. There is fantastic snorkeling much closer in on the main reef. We have stayed in Cayo and did a lot of the cave tours. If you have extra time, Tikal is amazing if you like ruins (haven't been to caracol so I can't comment on that one). It's a fun country and easy to get around.

7. Re: Itinerary/Accomodations help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 03:16