We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day itinerary help

maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 day itinerary help

Hello~

My boyfriend and I are spending 10 days in Belize this summer. So far I've found loads of helpful info on these forums :) Here are some ideas so far, and some questions:

-We decided to spend the first 5 nights inland and the last 5 on Caye Caulker at Seaside Cabanas.

-We want to see the Belize Zoo...should we stop there on the way to San Ignacio or see it as a day trip from San Ignacio?

-I am leaning towards staying at the Midas Resort and booking day trips to ruins/other activities either through them or from town. We definitely want to go to Tikal...overnight if we have the time.

Does anyone have an recommendations as to how we should plan out these first 5 nights, making sure we have enough time for the zoo, Tikal, other ruins, and time for zip lining and/or caving/hiking, etc.

Thanks so much for any info!

Jen

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day itinerary help

BZ Zoo is best done while traveling to/from San Ignacio.

You might want to visit Xunatunich on the way also and before visiting Tikal. Unique spot, but may be a bit anti-climatic after seeing Tikal.

Tikal is probably best done as an overnight trip. Long day to get there and back from San Ignacio and still allow plenty of time to explore Tikal. Bad road on Guatemalan side increases the travel time.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day itinerary help

The zoo is small, and a tour is around 1 1/2 hours. There is an option to stay overnight and have a night tour, which is something worth considering.

Definitely go to Tikal, and stay in the park overnight. Book a sunrise walk, it's outrageously wonderful.

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day itinerary help

I just returned from a 10 day Belize trip. We did a similar 5 day inland and 5 days in San Pedro.

I stayed at Midas in a King Deluxe suite, it was great, and a 5 min walk San Ignacio town center. We did the ATM caves, which are amazing and Tikal day trip. Overnight in Tikal is nice, but if you dont have the time, dont sweat it. San Ignacio is 2 hrs by car to Tikal, we left at 7:30am, and were back around 6pm, it gave us plenty of time to explore. There is also ziplining at the entrance to Tikal, which was fun. Contact Bob at Pacz tours, he was great. Stay away from the other tour company in San Ignacio, Mayawalk tours, not a good rep at all.

I kind of wished I would have split my time up on the coasxt ie a few says in Caye Culber and a few in Ambergris Caye. Ambergris is larger, more developed and busier, while Culker is more laid back and quiet. Would have been nice to see both sides.

maryland
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day itinerary help

Thanks for all the replies!

Do you think we should take a taxi from the airport to the zoo and then another taxi from the zoo to the Midas resort? About how much $$ would this be? Or does the Midas resort offer a shuttle? I can ask them about this too.....

I'd rather do an overnight to Tikal to see the sunrise/set! That sounds amazing!

Would you rec splitting our last 5 nights in Caye Caulker and Caye Ambergis? Or just do a day trip to Caye Ambergis to check it out?

Thanks Again :)

Alberta Canada
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 day itinerary help

We used William Hoffman from Belize Shuttle. He met us at the airport, waited for our friend who was arriving an hour later then we were, drove us out to San Ignacio, and even took us out for fried chicken and rum at 'The best place in Belize' according to him. In any case, he also offered to stop at the Zoo, but we declined due to time. He charged us $90, and was well worth it. He is very knowledgeable, and makes the trip fun. You can reach him at belize1122000@yahoo.com or

www.parrot-nest.com/belize_shuttle.html

I guess its a personal choice, Ambergris is much larger than Culker, and in my mind would take longer than a day to explore. Maybe ask one of the Belize experts on the forum, but if I was to do it over again, I'd do 3 days in Culker and 2 on Ambergris.

BTW, make sure you eat at 'Hanna's' in San Ignacio. Awesome food!!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 day itinerary help

You could always stay a night at the Tropical Education Center, which is across the street from the zoo. That way you could do a night tour of the zoo, seeing all the nocturnal animals more active. If you stayed at the zoo the first night, you might even be able to do zip lining the first day, depending on when you arrive.

The next day you could head to Cayo, and maybe see some local ruins, the iguana hatchery, and maybe tube the Mopan - there are lodges in Bullet Tree that do free river tubing.

Then a day for ATM, and one for Tikal. Then maybe a day for Barton Creek Cave, Big Rocks Falls, and Rio On Pools(amazing place). Mountain Pine Ridge is a must do. If you'll be in Cayo, and don't want to eat at the same lodge every night, be sure and check out the Best of Cayo page: it has the best places to eat, club, tour, shop, etc. http://www.bestofcayo.com

Have a great time!

7. Re: 10 day itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 06:24