We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize Must Sees???

Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Belize Must Sees???

Hi all,

I'm planning a road trip from from Mexico to Panama next year with my husband. What places do you all recommend that we must see??? We're not in to touristy resorts or anything fancy...I'm looking for those hidden little secret, secluded spots that few people know about. I know they're out there so let me know your favorites!

Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Panama
Panama
Central America
Jay's Adventures
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Mario's Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Anwar Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize Must Sees???

Lots to see in such a small, sparsely populated little country. Largely depends upon your preferences and interets. Do you prefer land, sea, jungle, ruins, rivers, caves, Mayan villages (or Spanish or Creole or Menonite or Amish or Garifuna....very diverse mix of races in Belize), cayes, reef, atolls... Generally, Toledo district is less developed for tourism...more like Belize used to be...good area to explore for locations a bit off the beaten path.

Not too much that is "secret" in this world anymore...especially if someone says it is...if it is secret then how do they know?

My favorite secluded spots are all out at the cayes and atolls...still many locations that are undeveloped/uninhabited/not visited by tourists...where it is still possible (although getting more difficult) to spend a week and never see another person...

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize Must Sees???

Not exactly unknown, but I would suggest Merida in Mexico (I am there right now - stay at El Luz en Yucatan)Tikal in Guatemala, and in Belize, I would suggest you reserve a month because there is so much to see, do and experience.

The south of Belize, where I live, is largely unknown. Visit Red Bank, a pretty Mayan village, and at the right time of year you can see the scarlet macaws flying there in the Swazey valley, a peak experience. Check out Monkey River, on of the last unspoilt Creole communities - no cars, electricity just about to come this year, people still live and work in very traditional ways.

Just the drive from Belmopan to Punta Gorda is an adventure in itself, must be one of the loveliest roads in the world. Belize is English speaking, so it is easy to stop and talk to people.

I am sure everyone will have great ideas for you.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Bridgeport...
Level Contributor
48 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize Must Sees???

BZ Sailor I would love to check out some uninhabited atolls, some ruins, and enjoy small bohemian Caribbean towns. Also, we love to snorkel so we are looking for some good reefs too.

Belizequeen thanks for the suggestions…I will take a look at those places!

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize Must Sees???

I agree that that driving is a great way to see inland Belize. The potential security issues I mentioned on my post re Guatemala are much less of a concern in Belize. Grab your guidebook and go.

There are a number of ruins accessible along the Western and Southern highways...any guidebook will desribe them for you. These are mostly small, interesting sites, but nothing like Tikal in Guatemala.

With your own wheels you can also explore less frequented places along the Belize coast like Gales Point and Sittee River. You can drive into Dangriga, Hopkins, and Monkey River Town also.

Getting to the more visited cayes/atolls is relatively easy. They all have boats that will pick you up and run you out there. Mostly from the Dangriga/Hopkins area. I suggest you consider: Tobacco Caye (like a very tiny Creole village on a very tiny caye), Southwater Caye, and Glovers and/or Turneffe atolls. See the forums/reviews for specifics on places to stay. World class snorkelling at all of these locations.

Good snorkelinig/diving locations abound in Belize. Not only is there the second largest barrier reef in the world (around 200 miles long), but also 3 of the 4 coral atolls in the western hemisphere.

To spend any time at the less frequented locations around the cayes/atolls you need a boat suitable for a live aboard charter and a captain who knows how to get there. There are 3 charter companies in Belize who can set-up a captained charter for you: Belize Sailing Charters (BSC), TMM, and The Moorings. BSC & The Moorings are based out of Placencia. TMM is based out of San Pedro. The typical charter is one week, but most boats can be chartered for as few as 3-days. If you do charter then a few locations to consider including are: Rendezvous Caye (the northern most one...it sits right in the middle of a cut in the reef), Queens Cayes near Gladden Spit, Half-Moon Caye at Lighthouse Atoll, Southwest Cayes at Glovers Atoll, Sapodilla Cayes at the very southern tip of the barrier reef....and many, many, more.

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize Must Sees???

BZ Sailor, what do you know about Thatch Caye? We will be there for a few days in August, I thought it looked nice, and we got a good price...

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize Must Sees???

look it over on google earth

Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize Must Sees???

MOMLIZ -- I have sailed right by Thatch Caye many times...the resort is relatively new and I have not stopped in yet, but plan to. I have met some of the people involved in it and have heard nothing but good things about it from those who have stopped in or stayed there.

It is located not far from Tobacco Cay...I'm usually on my way to/from Tobacco when I sail by it...so that would be a good day trip from Thatch Caye.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belize Must Sees???

MOMLIZ -- one other note that might interest you re Thatch Caye. It is not right on the reef as are places like Tobacco & Southwater, but is located roughly halfway between the mainland and the reef. A skiff ride to the reef should not be more than about 30 minutes.

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belize Must Sees???

how close is it to the atolls? Or is it a couple of atolls that have been combined (by hand, as their adverts state...) to make another one? You can never really tell much about a place from advertising copy, that's why this site is so great!

We will divide our time between there and AC (and some time inland first) so will see the reef from AC. I was hoping to have the contrast between AC, and a very quiet atoll with diving there.

But, you know, no matter what, we will have a great time, and we will be in Belize!!

Annandale, Virginia
Level Contributor
305 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belize Must Sees???

I did check it on Google earth, and it looks to be on the reef, rather than an atoll. What is the difference? I know what a reef is, but an atoll?