We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach and rainforest

CT
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach and rainforest

Hello! I am interested in traveling to Belize end of November into early December. I want a true rainforest experience, but I would also love some beach time!

Can someone suggest a travel plan for me? Are there any beach and rainforest tours? Should I stay at a beach resort and book a seperate tour for the rainforest? Can I do this all in 10 days?

Someone please help!

Thanks for your help in advance!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach and rainforest

TEN DAYS?? Wow - lucky you! Our bunch took seven days and had a blast with beach and mainland tours. We stayed at Coningsby Inn in Belize City (family run, affordable, clean and centrally located). One day was full of cave tubing and zipline, and day Two was Lamanai, the river and ruins tour. Day Three we moved to Caye Caulker for some quality beach, reef and total relaxation time. Major Tom took good care of our itinerary along with Heather at Tsunami Tours/Costa Maya cabins in Caye Caulker. Check out the good major at info@cave-tubing.net - perhaps he's available to set up an itin for you. Have fun (try some fishing - excellent). The ceviche at the island was magnificent, as was the service.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach and rainforest

10 days should be adequate for seeing some beach and rainforest...and some ruins too.

I'd suggest Placencia for your beach, and Cayo for your inland jungle experience. There are many tours at both places that will highlight whatever you'd like to do; be it snorkeling, fishing, hiking, horse back riding, ruins, caves, etc.

Have fun!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach and rainforest

Yes, I agree with the good Doctor FA - Cayo and Placencia are a nice mix. To do something even more adventurous, you could also think about some of the opportunities down south in Toledo, especially is you are interested in seing how Mayan people live, there are some excellent cultural opportunities and lovely places to stay, for example Hickatee, Lodge at Big Falls. This is a great mix with Placencia and you can fly between Placencia and Toledo (Punta gorda airstrip) very easily.

10 days is a good length of time, you will wish you had more though.

Belize
Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach and rainforest

My Recommendation would be 5 days inland 5 days beach and would suggest Cayo and Ambergris.

Do ATM, Caracol, Barton Creek Canoeing and probable Cave Tubing/Ziplining or Horseback Riding. If you are really into Ruins then Tikal may be another option and would recommend spending an extra day in Cayo.

Then head to the beach for some relaxation, snorkeling, diving if you do, sailing and beach combing of course.

Nice hotels both locations.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach and rainforest

With ten days I would want to stay in one place and spend my time doing fun things rather than hotel transfers. Hopkins has the beaches you want and is the village on the mainland closest to the barrier reef. it is also closer to Cockscomb and Mayflower jungle parks and Caves Branch than other beach locations. Technically, the only true "rain forest" in Belize is in the Toledo district.

6. Re: Beach and rainforest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2010, 05:17