We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
280 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

Never been to Belize before...I've been to Grand Cayman, Turks & Caicos, Curacao, Cozumel, Tulum, etc. I am always looking for great places to stay and do shore entry snorkeling/free diving and underwater photography for hours on end. Can someone please tell me where the best places to stay are on Belize for this? Are there any all-inclusives that are any good? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,198 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

The reef is about a mile from Ambergris and Caye Caulker, 10 miles from Hopkins and 19 miles from Placencia. You'll find walk in snorkeling on the outer atolls and small islands on the reef like South Water Caye and Tobacco Caye. Otherwise, you'll need a boat to get to the reef for diving and snorkeling.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
163 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

We stayed at Tranquility Bay, about a half hour's boat ride from San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. The beach right in front of our cabana was lovely and snorkeling right off the beach was amazing. There are patch reefs less than 50 feet offshore and the reef is a five minute kayak ride from the shore. We saw coral, rays, barracuda, moray eels, and tons of small, beautifully colored fish. It's not an all-inclusive resort, though. We also snorkeled in Hol Chan and Bacalar Chico, but honestly there was just as much sea life right off the beach. Hope you have a great trip!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,757 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

I would recommend the Hol Chan Marine Reserve, which is close to Caulker and Ambergris. From Placencia, any little caye will do...I wouldn't recommend Laughing Bird Caye though - I found it trashy and didn't see a fraction of the sea life I thought I'd see there. Turneffe Caye is great too.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

Belize has few all inclusives, many places will have food and bars. Belize speaks english so tourists and locals mingle and try out different places

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,586 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

Ramons beach is good free snorkeling area. That have concrete blocks set up to create an artificial reef and it has started growing.

Renting a kayak and going out to reef is another option.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

GOOD snorkeling from the beach? I would say that you have to go to any of the cayes. Glover's Attol, Tobacco Caye and South Water Caye are all great. The corals are beautiful and the fish very colorful. Most of the resorts on the cayes are all-inclusive, meaning food and lodging. Liquor is rarely included. Some include diving and/or transportation to and from the island.

7. Re: Good snorkeling from beach? Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 February 2010, 07:20