We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
573 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

We're thinking of going to BBC for our 40th next year and now our daughter wants to join us on our trip wherever we go. Since we never pass up a chance to see our DGD, wondering if it is a good idea to go to BlackBird with a 4yo? We are snorkel-mad and want to get alot of snorkeling in--are the snorkel trips long in duration? The person left behind with the 4yo wouldn't like it if the rest were gone all day! Also, any experience with 4yo's snorkeling themselves? Are there other things to do that would appeal to a curious girl? She loves the water. BB is so expensive, we'd want to make it worth our while if we go there. Also, is the food kid-friendly? She eats alot of different things, but might need food earlier than say 7:30--options? Other options include Ambergis Caye (looking at Xanadu) and St. John. Opinions and your stories welcome. Thanks!

Sally in Seattle

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
573 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

p.s. we'd also consider Caye Caulker. BTW, Son-in-law likes lots of things to do, so a bit worried about him on Blackbird as well. I think they have kayaks and fishing, too?

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

I would personally think Ambergris would be a better choice on both counts.

Food in Belize is on the whole ideal for kids, and Belizeans eat very early in the day, lunch is routinely as early as 11am so that shouldn't be a problem.

I actaully came across a restaurant the other day which closed for lunch - HONESTLY!!! (My lips are sealed as to its name though)

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

BBC is an island in Turneffe atoll, with some of the best marine life to be found anywhere. Fabulous snorkel, dive and fishing sites very close to the lodge. Their snorkel packages offer 3 trips per day, and you return to the lodge after each trip. I'm sure the lodge will accommodate the 4 yr olds food requirements. Turneffe Flats has a natural history snorkel package that includes boating around the atoll looking for manatees and other creatures. Ambergris is a very different destination, with a large assortment of hotels, restaurants, bars, people and other mainland trips available from there. The reef is less than a mile from shore and the boats return to the dock after each trip. It won't be a problem to arrange for a sister from either place.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
573 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

Thank you very much for the info, Katy. I will be contacting you as the time gets closer and the other family is able to book. Your contributions to this board are so helpful!

Sally in Seattle

5. Re: Blackbird Caye with a 4 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2010, 06:18