We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

We had respiratory difficulties in Egypt due to the air pollution from burning the after-products of sugar cane processing (plus lots of other things!) Do they do that in Belize and if so, do they do it in late Nov./Dec.? I ask because I was looking over pictures of Lamanai and there were a lot of references to sugar cane. Thanks!

Sally in COLD Seattle, BRRRR--wishing I were in Belize right now, sugar cane smoke or not!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

i would suppose they do as burning is pretty standard for clearing fields. never saw it or had an air problem on any of my trips to belize. generally it is windy enough that anything would be blown away especially on the cayes.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

There is a small bagasse factory on the Belize Sugar Industries compound providing electricity outside of Orange Walk town. Its not an area you would stay near, but would drive by en route to Lamanai site, a good ways from the factory.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

The cane fields are mainly in the north, near Orangewalk and Corozal.

The fields are set alight at harvest time. I haven't experienced any air pollution problems in Corozal, even though smoke in the distance is sometimes visible. All the fields are not on fire at the same time, and you'd have to be living pretty close to the fields for it to be a problem with breathing.

Might be a different situation in Orange Walk where the town is surrounded by cane fields.

Then, as Katie says, some refuse is burned.

Edited: 06 December 2009, 16:11
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

The air in Belize is much cleaner than Egypt! I can't remember when they burn off the sugar, but I don't think it's Nov/Dec.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

Thanks for all your replies! I haven't heard of pollution in Belize so I didn't think it was a problem. We are very much looking forward to our trip there next year.

Sally in Seattle

6. Re: Do they burn the sugar cane refuse in Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Belize