We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize Times - Crime Article

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Belize Times - Crime Article

First let me say I have watched the negative posts regarding the crime in Belize and thought (and still think) use caution and you should be ok. I am also aware of the troll and not trying to cause any problems BUT yesterday I was on a site that provided Belize newspapers. Clicked on Belize Times and up pops this article - http://www.belizetimes.bz/. Can locals maybe provide more insight on this newspaper-article? Is this the local newspaper or hopefully a paper that writes articles to attack the lack of government action. We are visiting all the areas mentioned in the article. I didn't take out trip insurance (maybe a mistake) so right now we are still leaving in less than 2 weeks. I don't plan on canceling our trip but using caution but I do have to consider the fact that I am putting 3 others in possible danger.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

You should read this in the light of the fact that this newspaper is owned by the opposition party and so will tend to cast the current government in the worst possible light. You can also catch up with news on Love FM on line, the nearest thing we have to a national radio station, and reasonably informative and fair in their coverage.

Having said this, it is idle to pretend that there is not a crime problem, as the government has just declared a crime crisis situation. They have set up a task force, "Operation Jaguar" involving special trained police and army officers, they have brought 100 soldiers into Belize City and are focussing on the gangs and gang areas of Belize City, which are the crux of the problem.

Personally I still feel Belize is safe for tourists, tourist areas are distinctly different from Belize City. I also visit Belize City regularly, and still feel pretty comfortable there, but I would not recommend tourists to roam around in the City on their own.

For your trip, I would take normal realistic precautions (stay away from dark, lonely areas, don't flash expensive jewelery/cash/posessions) etc, and I never go anywhere without travel insurance.

I'm sure you will have a great time, if you read comments from visitors on the crime threads, and trip reports in general, you will get a good picture of what it is actually like here.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,044 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

The Belize Times is the party paper for the opposition PUP political party. Their purpose is to make the ruling UDP look bad. The article, however, is factual; all those crimes occurred as detailed. If you plan to spend time in Belize City, I would take taxi's. These crimes are not targeting visitors to Belize and most visitors report feeling a very comfortable degree of personal safety and note how friendly and helpful Belizeans they meet are. I live in both Belize City and in Placencia and move around Belize City without concern, but am aware certain neighborhoods in the city are problematic. The govt is now instituting programs aimed at disrupting the gangs and we hope its effectual.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

The inflammatory language of the article and the political tone of the headline should be a red flag that this article is biased. As the previous posters have said, the "Belize Times" is owned and controlled by the PUP, the party in opposition. They will put a spin on any articles to make the government look bad. "Amandala" is the closest thing Belize has to an independent press. Take a look at the "Guardian", which is controlled by the ruling party to see the opposite spin depicting what a "great" job the government is doing.

I'm sorry this article has given you doubts regarding the safety of your stay in Belize. Please, relax but use common sense and you will have a safe and enjoyable visit.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

I appreciate everyone's input. The little sub-heading under the name of the paper made me wonder about the intent of this newspaper and that is why I asked. Plus I have read so many positive things on other threads. I realize there is crime everywhere - even in my own city! I guess we seem to worry a little more when traveling to unfamiliar territory. We will take precautions and plan on enjoying the great country of Belize!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

I appreciate everyone's input. The little sub-heading under the name of the paper made me wonder about the intent of this newspaper and that is why I asked. Plus I have read so many positive things on other threads. I realize there is crime everywhere - even in my own city! I guess we seem to worry a little more when traveling to unfamiliar territory. We will take precautions and plan on enjoying the great country of Belize! Thank you for addressing my concerns.

Edited: 18 May 2010, 16:59
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

I really can't stand the bias of that newspaper. Of course, the Guardian swings the pendulum the other way. Too bad there is so much tunnel vision.

Using caution is the best bet.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

You're right, it's a rag, I can't imagine anyone pays money for it but if one comes my way, it's useful for the puppy's kennel....

Amandala is pretty good although some of the articles are pretty turgid! I wish we a seriously investigative reporting here, I notice one or two of the younger journos starting to get a bit of an edge.

8. Re: Belize Times - Crime Article

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2010, 07:16