We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

ottawa . ontario...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Topic
Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

Can you tell me

Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling and which areas is the

must see and do for Snorkeling.

I want to try Diving for the first time also!

Do you have the names of places to stay and price?

Any Help with this would be Great! Thanks. Bobby :)

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

Great snorkeling off of Ambergris Caye. I highly recommend that you take your dive course at home before you come. It makes it easier as you have more time to take in all the information and then just do the dives as "referrals". As you are further north on Ambergris the reef is closer to shore.

Cheers,

Carlos

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

As for where to stay do you prefer closer to town - further away? Do you have a price range you are looking for - budget - mid range - anything goes?

There good snorkeling both north and south.

ottawa . ontario...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

I like to snorkel daily so to be in the Ambergris Caye area and to find a place

to stay that is in a budget to mid range, meals included or fair priced.

I like Beach Volleyball and Sailing a Hobbie Cat.

Thanks Taco Girl for the Help!

Thanks for the good advise Carlos!

What does " then just do the dives as "referrals"?

"Referrals" mean for diving? bobby :)

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

If you want to become a certified diver, the most common recommendation is to do your class work at home, then get a referral to come down and do your check out dives in Belize (or where ever).

If you just want to do a shallow 'resort dive', you can arrange it once you're in Belize.

Sunbreeze Hotel frequently seemed to have beach volleyball going on when I wandered by this past winter. Rooms are fairly expensive there, as is food.

If you're alone, I"d stay in town. Look at Holiday Hotel, Mayan Princess, maybe Blue Tang. For cheaper options, Spindrift, Ruby's, Conch Shell.

Lots of good cheap street food available in town. Also some reasonably priced restaurants.

Level Contributor
377 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

I would agree that if you are traveling alone you will be happier in town. There is usually a game of beach volleyball going on in front of Playa Lounge around 4 in the afternoon. You will need to rent sailboats and kayaks separately from your lodging. You will probably also want to kayak out to the reef every time you want to snorkel. If you decide to stay in town I would recommend Chuck and Robbies for the diving. The referral was explained just above.

Cheers,

Carlos

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

For budget accommodations, I tell my friends that Ruby's and Spindrift would be my 2 choices. Both are located in town, and are close to everything. I've seen the volleyball in front of Playa Lounge - looked like fun.

new york
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

When we finally get to Belize for the snorkeling part of our stay we plan to stay on Glovers. Sounds like snorkeling does not get any better then that!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

"Where to stay for the best snorkeling?" Since you like to snorkel daily, Tobacco Caye or Glovers would be the best places to stay. You can just walk off the beach into the water and snorkel, as you are on the barrier reef already. The best price I have found for diving is See More Adventures in Hopkins; referrals are $345US and Discover Scuba, $175US. This site has the best map I have found of Belize, showing the barrier reef and the location of different Cayes.

http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html

Once you decide where in the beautiful country of Belize you want to stay, this web site has all the licensed accommodations and you can sort by area and/or price.

www.travelbelize.org/index.php…

9. Re: Were to Stay For The Best Snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 07:32