We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Save Topic
Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Hi we are a group of 10 people who are staying in Belize for a week in November and are hoping to please everyone in the group by going to see the blue hole, shark alley, cave tubing and stay on the best beach obviously! We have seen lots of accommodation in Placencia and it looks like nice beaches but not sure if we can do everything we want to having that as our base. Any suggestions of where to stay or travel times to what we want to do would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Olivia

Cave Tubing.Bz
River Rafting & Tubing
Altournative Belize Services
River Rafting & Tubing, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tuff E Nuff Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Belize Exotic Adventures - Day Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, River Rafting & Tubing, Historical & Heritage Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

your goal is admirable but not really achievable is it. you never please em all. activities are split between the cayes and the mainland. you could stay a few days on a caye and a few days on the mainland but this will involve a travel day in the middle. you could either stay on the mainland or the cayes and do tours which will involve long days but it is doable. ambergris caye is the usual caye location and has more food and drink then the others.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

You would base on Ambergris or Caye Caulker for both the Blue Hole and Hol Chan and can book a day trip to the mainland for cave tubing and zip line or the zoo.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Since you want to do it all, I'd suggest splitting between AC and Placencia. Start in Placencia, and fly to AC from there. It's not that expensive or long to fly between the two. That way, you can say you stayed on the best beach here. You could always take a shuttle, and stop for cave tubing along the way. I'd stay 3 nights in Placencia and 4 on AC since you want to do Hol Chan - great idea - and the blue hole.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Belize doesn't have fantastic beaches, the best ones are in Placencia, but they are gritty rather than sugary sand. Other places have velvet beaches but they are tiny. Sounds as if you are more beach oriented, but it may be that you want to do ruins,waterfalls, caves, wildlife, in which case, spend haf your time inland around the San Ignacio, then either Ambergris Caye - our most touristy destination, Caye Caulker, smaller, guieter, Hopkins, quiet, mainland, reasonable beaches or Placencia, mainland again, fishing village atmosphere, plenty of nice accommodation, eateries, bars etc.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Although not as wide, and not as picturesque, I greatly prefer the beaches on Ambergris to those in Placencia. There's just something about white sand and blue water. Really soft sand too.

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Thanks for all the great advice. As we are a big group we are not wanting to move locations half way through we are thinking probably AC as we can't find a house with 5 bedrooms on Caye Caulker. Is it a lot closer from those two places than the mainland to get to the blue hole and shark alley? are the beaches a lot better on the cayes than the mainland?

Thanks again

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

Take a look at Almond Beach in Hopkins. They have a lovely big house next to their resort.. Check out the location of the Blue Hole on this map: http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html and you will see that the distance to the Blue Hole from either San Pedro or Hopkins varies by less than 15 miles. Hamanasi or Almond Beach can organize the trip for you. You will be close enough to Ian Anderson's Caves Branch or even Jaguar Paw to do the cave tubing in an easy day trip.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,899 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

If a decent beach is a priority, don't head to Caulker. It's a great little island, but essentially no beach.

Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley are right off the coast of Ambergris, from the center of town, maybe a 15 minute boat ride.

I've always liked the looks of Casa Tortuga on Ambergris, never been inside, but looks lovely as I wander by in the mornings. Fairly close to town as well.

I've never been to Hopkins, don't know a thing about the beaches there. Just do keep in mind that Belize simply does not have world class beaches. I would hate for some in your group to be disappointed.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

As Jeanh says, Belize just isn't really known for its beaches. It's more known for being on the Caribbean, and having the largest living barrier reef in the world. When I have friends that must see a beach, I take them to Placencia or Hopkins, simply because there isn't seagrass there.

10. Re: Belize first timers. We want to do it all!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2011, 04:17