We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

I'm just starting to plan a trip to Belize for new year's with my boyfriend. We are looking to fly out on New Year's Eve and spend anywhere from 7-14 days depending on the budget. We are moderately adventurous and know we want to spend most of the time on the coast or on an island. We are looking to scuba dive, we don't have a lot of experience but look forward to seeing Belize underwater quite a bit. We want to take in all that we can and finish the trip with some relaxing time on the beach. Our budget is a bit tight as it comes right after the holidays but tend to go big on vacation...as in...we want to stay somewhere clean and nice, potentially a beach bungalow if we can find a moderately priced one. Soaking in the culture is a big part of what we like to do on vacation and like to avoid the americanized drinking/partying scenes. I planned our 2 week trip to Costa Rica last year and the planning process truly consumed me...I only have 2 months to plan this one so I'm a bit stressed and pressed for time. Please help with any travel itinerary suggestions, places that aren't worth going to, any can't miss destinations, etc. Thank you...fellow traveler in need of help. I truly appreciate any suggestions:)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

By your verbiage, not mentioning terrestrial activities and avoiding drinking scenes, you might not want to stay on AC, so maybe a split between Placencia and Caulker would do you well. You'll have no trouble finding great deals at those 2 places.

You'll be here in the busiest time, so you're doing well by starting to organize now. No need to worry, Belize isn't going anywhere. When you get your tickets, then all you need to do is shoot off some emails to the places you wish to stay at. You'll probably want to do the Blue Hole and definitely Shark Ray Alley. ATM is amazing too. You might want to do cave tubing at Caves Branch and check out the inland Blue Hole too. There are many archaeological sites around the country, so if you wanted to see some ruins, you'll have a chance.

Good luck, and have fun!

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

Hi,

Like you I also like to spend lots of time planning holidays! I went to Belize earlier in the year for 2 weeks and have written up the highlights of our trip into 3 blogs - you may find it useful to have a scan over them to get some ideas about the type of thing you can do and fit in in your timescale. We were on a low-moderate budget.

Wildlife encounters (including jaguar encounter, whale shark snorkelling etc):

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/top-5-wildlife-…

ATM cave and cave tubing (highly recommended):

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/underground-adv…

Caye Caulker:

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/carefree-caye-c…

Guide to visiting Tikal from Belize following shortly but not quite finished yet. Feel free to ask any more specific questions about any of my blogs.

Hope this helps

San Francisco
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

thank you so much to the both of you...I have started reading a book on Belize and again I am overwhelmed with the decisions as to where to go and where not to since everywhere sounds amazing. I really appreciate all your tips. Thanks again:)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

You could stay in Hopkins. It's got some good snorkel/dive connections, culture, beach, nice yet budget accommodations, restaurants, and friendly folks, quiet little town. It's also close to some inland adventuring if you desire - Cockscomb, Mayflower...

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

I just got back from Hopkins where I stayed for 10 days. Wow! What a wonderful little place to relax. It is a sleepy little Garifuna town that is much more laid back than the Cayes. I stayed in the Lebaha Drumming Center beach cabanas literally right on the gorgeous beach and very inexpensive. Things to do. Dorothy the lady who runs the place hooked me up with a guy named Boo who is a dive tour operator (See Mor Adventures?). Talk about great service. Boo pulled the boat right up on the beach in front of the cabana and I just hopped right in. Spent a wonderful day out in the marine sanctuary and Boo was simply awesome as I am very new to scuba and a little nervous. I also rented a canoe from the Marina on Sittee River and paddled up Boom Creek. Saw an alligator, and tons of birds. There was a little bar called the Driftwood just 2 doors up from the cabana that makes great pizza and always had some expats willing to pass on local information. If you like swimming, the beach is gorgeous. I went for a swim virtually every day. I am so glad I decided to give Hopkins a try.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

You sound like you are in the same boat as I am. My wife and I are flying in to Belize on the 4PM American flight and are looking for an activity for New Years. We have plans to board a catamaran in Placentia on Saturday and sail for a week but no idea what to do for New Years. Let me know if you find any place worth going.

Edited: 20 November 2010, 01:16
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

Are you dry or wet leasing?

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

not sure what you mean. we are on a catamaran that comes with a cook and captain. food and booze is all included as part of a timeshare program with Tradewinds Cruise Club

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

Does anyone know what currency I need to take to Tikal. Do they take US or the Belize dollar?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Year's Trip-first timer in Belize....please help:)

In Guatemala they use Quetzals. Right before the border there are many fellows who will exchange money for you. They have big fist fulls of Quetzals just waiting to be exchanged.