We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Belize to Guatemala

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Belize to Guatemala

We're going to Belize in March and will travel the country with a car. My question is, is it easy to drive from Belize to Guatemala? How long of a trip is this? Thanks!

ejs
california
Level Contributor
113 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Belize to Guatemala

I take it your going to Tikal? The drive from Belize City to Tikal is kind of a drag to do it in one day, break up your trip by staying in San Ignacio and using that as a staging area.

The road from the border to Tikal is graded but not paved all the way and not a lot of signs.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Belize to Guatemala

The road from the border to Tikal is good paved hywy, except for the first 20 mins out of Melchor. I advise against taking a rental across the border, vehicle insurance is not available in Guate, so...speak spanish? Leave your rental on the Belize side of the border. Drive from the border to Tikal is about 1.5 hrs.

Guatemala City...
Level Contributor
682 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Belize to Guatemala

I guess it all depends if your bring your own car.. or a rental.

The highway on the Belize side is great. As soon as you cross the border about 15-20 km on the side of Guatemala is unpaved... then it becomes paved.

The trip is pretty decent. We went from Belize City to Flores (tikal) in one day.. and even stopped at Yaxaha (where they filmed Survivor).