We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Hi Everybody -- I'm starting to plan a first-time trip to Belize for either Jan or Feb. It'll be my mom and I, and I think we'll have 8 days, which we'd like to split between Cayo (Table Rock Lodge) and a beach destination. We're looking for somewhere quiet and not too developed with good swimming and the chance to try snorkeling for the first time. Right now we're weighing Caye Caulker vs Hopkins. What advice would folks have? Thanks!!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

We really love Hopkins Village but it's ~15 miles from the reef so snorkeling would be a big tour deal. There isn't snorkeling from shore on Caulker to speak of but the reef is so close that it's inexpensive and easy to head out for snorkeling. Last summer we did a full day sailing/snorkeling trip with Raggamuffin and really enjoyed it:

http://raggamuffintours.com/hol-chan-snorkel/

Hopkins is a Garifuna village, which is interesting, and we enjoy the drumming at the Lebeha drumming center.

wwwhopkinsbelize.com

www.lebeha.com/

There's a range of options for lodging; we loved the Hopkins Inn:

www.hopkinsinn.com

Caulker has many more options, more of a Caribbean feel, terrific food (don't miss Wish Willy, our best meal ever anywhere), and it's much closer to BC and therefore vastly easier to get to and away by ferry or flight.

My travelogues, blogs, and photos are below if you're interested. Good luck!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,224 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

There are lots of places in the world with a beach scene and snorkeling off the beach, but Caulker is not one of them. Otherwise it's a charming island.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Hol Chan is quite cool, and you'll also get to swim with the nurse sharks and stingrays too.

The boat ride to the reef from Hopkins is part of the fun!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Hopkins. Quiet - check, not too developed - check, good swimming - check,, the chance to try snorkeling - check. Caye Caulker is a backpackers' heaven great for solo travelers in their 20's.; not quiet, very developed, but in a Belizean way (not Cancun style),, no good weimming, only at the split, which is a great hang-out for yourn travelers who want to lay in the sun and have a few drinks at the bar. You have to take a boat to th ereef from either location for superb snorkeling. Hopkins is 9 miles from the reef, whereas CC is only 20 min, but the saving in gas is not always reflected in price. A half day trip from Hopkins should be around $60.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Hi, I stayed on CC earlier this year and loved it. Have a look at my blog to see if you think the island is for you:

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/carefree-caye-c…

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Price for a full day trip of sailing and snorkeling including lunch and evening rum and ceviche was $45US for us from Caulker (link above). Caulker is so much easier to get to and so much closer to the airport for departures that I recommend it more for folks who just have a week of vacation. Love Hopkins, too, though!!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Another vote for Caye Caulker.

The first thing I noticed when I arrived at CC was the peace & quiet.

Hopkins was a bit too quiet for me.

Edited: 01 December 2010, 20:41
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,286 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

Unless you're at Lebeha! :-)

9. Re: Caye Caulker or Hopkins for beach portion of trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2011, 05:15