We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

I will have to be implementing an accounting software conversion next summer (joy) which means I may need to pare down my trip from 15-16 nights to 10-11 nights. I originally planned 2 nights at LOL and I don't really want to eliminate it all together because of all the wonderful things I hear about the boat trip in (among other things). In one night we could enjoy the boat trip, do one of the evening safaris or night walks and one of the sunrise tours in the morning before departing. Would you say "go" or "no"?

Also, I had intended on asking my hotel, but we will be coming from an overnight in Tikal and I'm still not sure if we will book a tour for that or do it ourselves. Either way, it seems like we'd have to go all the way back to Belize City for the x-fer to LOL. Is this correct?

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

On one hand that's a lot of travel time just for one night. On the other hand it is a wonderful place. Where else are you going on your trip? Their standard transfer times in or out are at 7:30am, 1pm, and 4pm. From International airport it's almost 1 hour drive to boat launch and then 1 hour by boat. If you are coming from Tikal maybe you can do a charter flight to LOL. They have an airstrip and you would save a lot of travel time. Then do the boat transfer out. If you only do one night go on the spotlight boat safari, not the night walk. Check what time the moon and sun rise. Both were beautiful over the lagoon. We spent 3 night there and thought it was just the right amount of time.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

You would have the time. It would be a busy two days, but it would be worth it.

Yes, you would go back to BZE airport to catch the transfer. You can fly back from Flores, Guatemala to BZE instead of catching a road transfer back.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

Thank you both. I may be able to reorg so that I don't go from Tikal to Lamanai, but maybe from Chaa Creek or even the day after we arrive in Belize, to prevent having such a long x-fer day. I may cut back on Cayo or Caye time in order to keep the 2 nights there as well. Will work on that this weekend. :-)

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,341 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

The LOL is an amazing place with an unbelievable location. We took the best nature/wildlife photos we've ever taken there, including getting within four feet of a 10 foot croc and within 2 feet of howler monkeys. Oh, and there are extraordinary ruins right across the road too. Staying overnight in Tikal is fantastic as well, you'll have a great trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

Thanks rac! I don't intend to get within 4 feet of any 10' croc though, LOL. :-)

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

LOL is wonderful and I went for one night a few months ago and it was lovely, but I'd been there before and will go again many more times. You can fly from Cayo direct to LOL, ask them about charter flight costs. One of the better lodges in Belize and on the spectacularly beautiful and secluded 23 mile New River Lagoon.

Edited: 10 December 2010, 21:18
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

Thanks Katie -- I think I'm going to work it so I can spend 2 nights here instead 1. It was already on my priority list as it sounds just like the type of place I try to find in Costa Rica when I visit there. I'm really looking forward to it!

8. Re: Is Lamanai Outpost Lodge worth it if I only have one night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 05:18