We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

can we find it all in one place?

Trumbull...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
can we find it all in one place?

Is there one destination where I could stay in Belize with my husband and two daughters (17 and 18) where we could snorkel, and have access to a nice beach, caves and ruins? We would rather not have to pack up our stuff and move around.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,127 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: can we find it all in one place?

You can take day trips to the mainland for caves and sites by boat or plane from Ambergris and Caye Caulker or by road and closer to caves and sites from Hopkins and Placencia. Or base on the mainland in Toledo and take day trips to the cayes for snorkeling, diving or fishing.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: can we find it all in one place?

The slogan of Toledo is "We have it all" We have beautiful cayes and reef for snorkelling, the loveliest scenery, two interesting if small Mayan sites, chocolate trails, wildlife, and some outstanding lodgings.

Check out Hickatee Cottages for medium price, Machaca Hill for very high end but stunning.

Hopkins and Placencia offer nice beaches and atmosphere, a range of accommodation, and plenty of tour options. Personally I think it is a drag to stay at AC or CC and have to haul all the way back to the mainland to visit places, but they are lively and popular destinations and closer to the reef if that is important for you.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: can we find it all in one place?

Hopkins has nice beach and is just 9 miles from the barrier reef for superb snorkeling. It is an easy day (or half-day) trip to the caves at Caves Branch as well as the minor ruins in Toledo. Tour operators do offer day trips to the major ruins such as Caracol, the ATM cave and Tikal, but in my opinion you would be better off to stay one or two nights in the Cayo area to visit those sites.. Here is a link to a good map so you can see the relative distances from Hopkins, Placencia and Ambergris Caye to the other places of interest http://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map.html

Edited: 21 December 2010, 17:49
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: can we find it all in one place?

It's possible, as above, but then you're spending a lot of time on the road to visit other places. For example, staying on Caye Caulker and doing a (really long) day trip to Lamanai would give you island time plus a taste of the mainland, but there are some things you'd miss that might make splitting your time worth it.

If you head straight from the airport to the San Ignacio area, you can actually stay in the jungle and access amazing things like the ATM cave trip:

www.pacztours.com/actun-tunichil-muknal.html

Then head to the blue water for the rest of your trip. Just my 2 cents' worth. Our Belize photos, blog, and travelogues are below in case you're interested. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: can we find it all in one place?

I'd recommend Placencia since you can get to the reef with a boat ride, enjoy the nicest beach in Belize, and also get to some ruins, not to mention Cockscomb Basin for hiking and a little waterfall. You didn't mention nightlife, so I didn't mention AC, plus, it's a long ride to get to the terrestrial activities.

Have a great time, and a Merry Christmas!

6. Re: can we find it all in one place?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2011, 06:19