We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with only two nights?

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Topic
What to do with only two nights?

Get ready for some details!

My fiance and I are going to Belize for our honeymoon in July. We've already decided to stay at the Thatch Caye Resort and do the Sun, Sights and Snorkel package for 7 nights. When we are there we will go on 3 snorkeling excursions and two mainland (seeing the mayan ruins and going hiking in the jungle to swim in a waterfall).

However we want to take the first two nights and relax, get a massage, and be in a town where we could walk and get glimpse of the Belizean culture and sample the cuisine. It would also be nice to check out other areas other than the beach. We also need a place that is easy to go to from Belize airport, and after the two nights we want an easy transition to Thatch Caye (Dangrigia).

At this point, our price range is somewhat modest. We don't need luxury but something decent. I've done a ton of research already but nothing is jumping out at me.

Also, I inquired about cave tubing with the resort we are staying at, they mentioned that tours are often closed in July due to high rains? Is this true? Has anybody did an ATM tour or a cave tubing tour in July? We really want to do it!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with only two nights?

Look at Caves Branch Lodge for both ATM and caev tubing and its en route to Dangriga, your jumping off point for the boat to Thatch Caye.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with only two nights?

Caves Branch www.cavesbranch.com has some other awesome options, too, like the Black Hole Drop and the Waterfall Cave trip. It's pretty spendy, though and they don't always take reservations for less than 3 nights. There are lots of options at various price points in/around San Ignacio. Here are links to 3 places we've stayed - enjoyed them all for different reasons. You can check my reviews here on Trip Advisor and see photos, blogs, and travelogues at the 4th link below. Any of those options would add time coming and going (45-60+ minutes). Don't miss the zoo - really original.

Congratulations and happy trails!

Macal River Jungle Camp - www.belizecamp.com - great jungle camp

Aguada - www.aguadahotel.com - great value place in a neighborhood

Trek Stop - www.thetrekstop.com - great budget cabins, wooded setting

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

www.belizezoo.org

Edited: 27 January 2011, 20:26
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with only two nights?

Yes it is true that cave tubing sometimes has to be cancelled cos of high flooding. No predicting it I'm afraid.

You could stay in Belize city. Now, it is NOT the place to walk around at night, but if you stay at D'Nest Inn (which is in a safe area) you can do trips during the day - bus to ATM, Xunanatanich, Zoo etc, even a trip to Ambergris Caye, and at night Gaby and Oty will point you in the direction of safe local eateries - including if you are there on the right night the famous Ceviche Hut. I often stay there myself, it is my home from home in the city, and have met many guests staying there doing these kinds of trips and having a lot of fun. You can get a massage in the city, but I don;t think it is really a top offering there.

Otherwise, head out to San Ignacio for jungle adventure, but it is a bit far for truly easy transfers.

A third option which offers nice massage, a safe place to stroll at night and good food is Placencia. Try Seaspray for good mid range accommodation, there are many others.

Easiest way to get to Griga from the City is to fly, you could also bus.

Chicago, Illinois
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with only two nights?

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm currently looking into your suggestions!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with only two nights?

I'd recommend Cayo. You can hit cave tubing along the way, and Cayo is where ATM is located near. You can also get half priced massages, which means only $15us for an hour. And they are the best massages around too. Siesta Massage: http://www.bestofcayo.com/siesta-massage We get multiple massages a week sometimes.

Rarely do the tours get canceled. I really wouldn't worry about it. If they do, it's really just luck of the draw.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with only two nights?

The ftwo places that come to my mind are Caves Branch and Jaguar Reef/Almond Beach in Hopkins. They are both equally accessible to Dangriga. The previous posts have already mentioned the reasons for Caves Branch; Almond BeachJaguar Reef for Butterflys Spa and because it's proximinity to Hopkins village, where you can walk around and take in the local Garifuna culture

7. Re: What to do with only two nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 06:16