We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we reserve?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Should we reserve?

My boyfriend and I will be in Belize from March 20th to 31st. We have reserved our hotel for the first two nights and the last one and nothing else.

We want to spent some days in the Cayes and we plan to go in San Ignacio for a day trip in Tikal. We have couple of ideas of other things to do, but we haven't reserve anything yet since we don't know if we will start with the Cayes or with Cayo. We wanted to see what the weather will be like when we get there, to make sure it will be sunny when we'll go in the Cayes.

I have been told today that we should reserve in advance while I am at home since it is easier to do then when we will be in Belize. Is that true? Is it really the high season now? Will we have problem to find hotels between 30 to 80$ per night in Cayo and in the Cayes if we don't reserve now?

I would appreciate some feedback and advice since if I have to reserve, I have to do that quick...

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we reserve?

It still is high season, but the ultra high season is over, and many places here in Cayo are turning away people left and right, but those are the more popular places, and there are still many places to stay at. You might not get your first couple of choices, but you should have no problem finding a good spot. You can always play it by ear, and if you wanted to, could ask the hotels that you are staying at if they have room for you to stay an extra night.

Good luck!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we reserve?

As the Dr. says, you're likely to find something if you wait until you're on the ground. Frankly, I'd book ahead because I like to stay in the coolest, best value places and those are the ones that are likely to be full. I also don't like the idea of having to slog my bag from place to place trying to find one with room. If you'd rather risk those things to have the flexibility, I think your decision is made.

You can search for lodging options using the first 2 websites below; the 3rd is the link to my photos, blogs, and travelogues. Happy trails!

www.toucantrail.com

www.belizefirst.com

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we reserve?

I'd do some research before you leave. Find the places that look good and write down their phone numbers. Or, take along a laptop and check availability that way. Keeps you from having to drag your bags around....

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we reserve?

All three of the above postsare correct. I would follow the advice in #3, but also ask other travelers you meet in Belize for suggestions. It is true that the best places get booked early, but sometimes they have a couple of days free, Always call or e-mail to ask. If they do not have space on the day/s you want, ask which days they do have free, also ask about other rooms that may not be exactly what you think you want, they may be perfect in other ways.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we reserve?

I'll add on to Potlikka's excellent post; if all else fails, ask the person on the phone or the other side of the desk for suggestions. There are plenty of accommodations that don't have an internet presence but are well known to locals. Think along the lines of 'my cousin works at xyz hotel and they usually have a room'. Also, pick up a local newspaper when you get into town. Once again, there are options advertised that you will not find elsewhere.

6. Re: Should we reserve?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 01:17