We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency for UK traveller

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
currency for UK traveller

i understand that you can use both US and Belize dollars in Belize so I was going to take a mix of US and uk cash to exchange at the airport. Being from UK i have to exchange money either way so i see no real benift in changing all US dollars.

I just wanted to check if you get a better deal using one currency other the other?

Will there be times when you can not use either currency?

Is it easy to exchange money at belize international airport?

what currency would i use in Tikal and where can i get it?

Thanks, sorry about all of the questions, just trying to clarify.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency for UK traveller

as you can see from my avatar changing pounds isnt a need i have had. BZD and USD are interchangeable in Belize at a fixed rate of 2 BZD to 1 USD, change is usually give in BZD. being a former crown colony i suppose changing sterling isnt at all new to them.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,080 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: currency for UK traveller

Quetzales in Guatemala which you can buy at the border and you'll get better rates for US$ than other currencies.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency for UK traveller

US is always accepted in Belize, just remember that a $100US bill is really $200BZE and most Belize businesses have trouble changing a $50BZE. Try to take US$20's, with the larger denominations for things like tours that will cost you around $100US.. I don't know of any place other than a bank that will take Lbs. Sterling, and only specific branches, such as Belize City.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
451 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency for UK traveller

i should be able to change pounds sterling to belize dollars at the airport though shouldnt i?

5. Re: currency for UK traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 April 2011, 22:35
Edited: 01 April 2011, 22:35
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: currency for UK traveller

Make sure to spend all your BZ$ (especially coins) before you leave Belize because it might be difficult to exchange outside Belize.

7. Re: currency for UK traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 17:17