We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

grand rapids, MI
2 posts
Save Topic
first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

We are traveling to Belize in July. We plan on snorkeling, cave tubing, touring ruins, relaxing on the beach, and whatever else looks interesting. Would like an area that we can walk around during the day and/or night and feel safe. Would probably prefer staying at a property on a beach with a pool. I am terrified of snakes and spiders but I have read the posts on that and now feel comfortable about that subject just thought I would mention that. We are open to renting a car, I am traveling with my 30 yr old son and my 17 yr old neice, I am 53 yrs young, my son is a world traveler as an international sales rep so not going in totally green and have someone that can watch over us. I have traveled quite a bit but used to traveling european destinations. I know this is lengthy but I want to make sure our lodging is in the best area for our wishes and needs. Thank you in advance for your guidance.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,826 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

Have you considered getting a guidebook? It's a good idea to scan the itinerary recommendations, then read up on those sections and come back with more specific questions. You don't say how long you're staying or your budget level - we can help you more if you provide that.

For the combo of beach and pool Ambergris Caye probably makes the most sense but since it's an island your access to the mainland will be a bit limited; day trips are available but can be spendy. Many of us choose to split our trip between inland and island (or beach) destinations - the San Ignacio area for ruins, caving, hiking, etc. and Caye Caulker for snorkeling and diving would be my pick. My photos, blogs, and travelogues are below if you're interested. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

I would consider Placencia. It's mainland and yet you have nice condohotels with pool on the beach. No spiders or snakes to speak of and easy day trips to all the stuff you want to do. Also, safe walking around or renting a golf cart.

If you want to make it a little less controlled, you could rent a car to use for your day trips even though you come back at night to your bug free, pool side beach accommodation. You can easily drive south to any of the Toledo adventures from Placencia and also north or west for those sites.

For accommodation, I like Laru Beya but suggest that you go to the Placencia reviews here on tripadvisor to see if something else suits your needs better.

Have a great trip!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

Check out Ambergris Caye, Placencia, and Cayo. You'll probably want to split it with Cayo, for terrestrial tours, and one of the others for your beach tours. You can find enough info online about all of those...guide books are a thing of the past.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

Look at Jaguar Reef or Hamanasi in Hopkins for most of your needs and book a couple of nights in San Ignacio for the ruins.

5. Re: first time to belize what area/city should we book lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 16:19