We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car and driving conditions

Takoma Park...
2 posts
Save Topic
Renting a car and driving conditions

Hello,

My family will be traveling to Belize at the end of the year, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to rent a car so we have more freedom to explore the country. Any opinions or tips on whether this is a good idea?

Thanks!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

We haven't been tempted to rent a car on our visits. It would depend on where you want to go and what you want to do. How much time are you planning to spend and what are your ages and interests? It's hard to advise you without more information.

Takoma Park...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

It's a pretty short trip- 5 days/4 nights. We'll be staying in Placencia. My parents are in their early 60s, and are interested in the caves, ruins and wildlife. My husband and I are in our 30s and are more interested in coastal activities like snorkeling. My brother and sister are in their 20s and will probably also want to hit the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

Do you already have reservations in Placencia? I'm asking because access to snorkeling is more challenging than locations that are close to the reef and you mention it as a priority. I think you'd enjoy having a car in that area to access inland adventures. I can't help you much because I haven't been to that part of Belize. Happy trails!

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
8,223 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

I think it sounds like a good idea for you.

Placencia is a bit spread out and a car would be handy.

Road conditions are generally good -- all the main roads are paved.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

To explore in that short a time I think you will need a vehicle. There is a car rental company in Placencia, so you can fly in/out of the Placencia airport from Belize City and pick up your vehicle in Placencia. If you want to explore Cockscomb or Mayflower the roads are not paved and the road to Cockscomb is pretty rough. Taxi or tour guide to the parks, caves or ruins from Placencia is costly.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Kansas City...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

I know when we return to Belize, we wouldn't hesitate to rent a car for at least a few days. I'd recommend determining where you wanted to visit inland and highly recommend you plan out your routes beforehand so you know where you're headed (google maps, etc.). If you have an idea of the direction you're headed, it's a lot harder to get lost when the street signs are missing (or you miss seeing them). :-D

The main highways are well paved and easy to drive. Getting to the main highway from Placencia may involve driving some rutted roads, but overall driving in Belize is just fine.

Keep in mind that from Placencia, and depending on where you want to go, you may find it's a fair drive to your destination (an hour or more, sometimes much more). You might want to check with the hotel you're staying to see if they have recommended drivers to take you where you want to go.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

Since you'll be here for a short time, and want to see Placencia, then having a car would be good. They're quite expensive, but you'll have the freedom you mentioned. On the way to Placencia, you could check out the zoo here, which everyone will love. From Placencia, you could explore the Blue Hole, do some cave tubing, see some ruins, and drive around the peninsula. Be sure and stop at Tutti Fruiti for the best gelato.

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
171 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

I almost always recommend against renting a car, unless you have a large group, which you do. Car rentals are expensive in Belize, and they end up sitting there while you take tours, go snorkeling, etc. A flight from Belize City International airport to Placencia is $185.50 US round trip per person and takes 35 minutes. The cheapest car I could find on the internet that holds 6 persons is $124/day with tax and insurance.

Lucy

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,368 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

its an easy 3 hr drive from Intl to Placencia on well paved well marked roads, best done in daylight unless you are familiar with the roads. its a great idea to have a car in Placencia so you can move up and down the peninsula, dine where you want and drive yourselves to the sites in Toledo, the caves in Toledo or Cayo and to the Jaguar Preserve for hiking, waterfalls, jungle river floating. It'll save you $ and give you more freedom to move around. Or fly down and hire guides for land trips and take taxis or rent golf carts while in Placencia to move around.

Mentioned in this post
Placencia
Placencia
Stann Creek, Belize
Cayo
Cayo
Belize
10. Re: Renting a car and driving conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 01:23