We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any good. shopping in belize?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
any good. shopping in belize?

Just wondering if Belize is known for any products, something that i cant get elsewhere or is priced better there? I'll be leaving in a week. For exampe, I know when I did a cruise last year that the big thing that was being pushed in the Carribean was gemstones. Anything like that for Belize?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

I leave Belize with as much One Barrel Rum I'm allowed and as many bags of Plantain chips that can stuff in my back pack. I buy little spice balls and Gallon jug Maya Faya sauce. (We can get Marie Sharps in Vancouver now). I bought a little black slate carving of a hummingbird and a wooden carved bird from the craft shop that is attached to the jail just outside of Belize City.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

The slate and wood carvings are popular items as are textiles from Guatemala. In some areas you find little Maya woven baskets. In addition to Marie Sharps, the Heinz salad dressing they use all over the country for cole slaw and recado rojo paste they use for chicken are worth a look.

Caesar's, just east of San Ignacio, has a terrific gift shop called the Orange Gallery which is almost like a museum - lots of great gifts and artwork. Happy trails!

www.belizegifts.com/guesthouse/tours.html

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,278 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Oh - and I like the shell and pearl jewelry you can find on Caye Caulker. :-)

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Heinz salad cream LOL! this is an English thing imported to the Caribbean - an old fashioned thing to have on your salad before we had mayonaise. personally I love it, it just amused me to think of the journey.

We have very lovely crafts here. Gemstones are pushed because the cruise ship companies own the gem stone outlets. They are trying to make as much money as possible out of you. They are American, and all the cruise ship money stays in the US. PLEASE try to buy from Belizean outlets away from the port. Hattieville prison has a great craft shop.

One place I like very much is Mikado's Textile Palace in Regent St, they have very nice tropical fabrics, very inexpensive and attractive.

Also, look out for herbal tonics and "bitters", these are effective and very authentic Belizean. Coffee, chocolate (best in the world) honey (cheap and delicious) are all things to look out for. Honey comes in bottles as a rule, not jars.

If you are wealthy, conch pearls are rare and beautiful.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Is the prison gift shop close to the airport?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

belize is also noted for its chocolate

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Sorry, what is maya faya and marie sharps? Also, is there a particular brand of chocolate or place to get it that people recommend?

thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Marie Sharp is a woman who makes amazing hot sauce, jams, and other great products. I cannot stand the cloying taste of habenero, but she makes it with carrot and it does something that makes the sauce worth carrying back. The jams are also excellent. The Marie Sharp factory near Dangriga was high on my list for my last trip, but I never made it.

The Goss chocolate is amazing, but not inexpensive. Don't wait until the airport to buy it - it was double the price of the supermarket, which was still 5-6 Belize for a smallish bar

I don't know if it was Ceasar's, but there used to be a store on the road to San Ignacio that had really high end crafts - I remember the pottery from El Salvador that was gorgeous, but large and I didn't want to schlep it around.

Just came back with a gorgeous wooden bowl from David's Woodcarving in Hopkins and one of those different colored striped wood cutting boards I've been eyeing in the airport stores every trip. And, a lot of One Barrell and Marie Sharps, and coffee, and Lisette's Secret Sauce.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 06 October 2011, 00:49
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

Not trying to get off topic, but there is a huge open air market in Cayo on Saturdays - Fridays is getting big too - that is really a neat thing to experience. You can buy the best hot sauce in Belize there, and it's homemade. There's also amazing homemade jams and jellies, and my favourite, homemade wine in 20 different flavours, from papaya to mango to tomato to huckleberry. I buy by the case...all the above, actually.

There is also a...food court, if you can call it that where you can get papoosas, the current hot item, foodwise, and a plethora of other things in the local flavour. Guinness Beer ice cream can sometimes be found there too. A fun market to see. It's, haha, number 1 of 1 shopping experience in Cayo on TA: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g291971-d5…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: any good. shopping in belize?

I went there for recado in 2005!

suitcaseready.com