We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turneffe Island

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Turneffe Island

I'm trying to figure out the difference between the accommodations on Turneffe Island - Turneffe Flats and Turneffe Island Resort. Can anyone shed some light for me? On one of the websites, there is an aerial photo. Are they connected at all?

Thanks for your help.

GP

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turneffe Island

Nope - 2 different resorts. Turneffe is an atoll, not an island or caye (although there could be an island/caye called Turneffe in the atoll for all I know)

Im pretty sure they are on completely different cayes. Turneffe Flats was highly reco'd to me by Katie Valk, who I trust, but Im more interested in a snorkle package, which they dont seem to have (although I bet they could design one). If you dive, it sounds perfect.

Did you look at Off the Wall on Glover's Atoll? Or do you want something cushier?

suitcaseready.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turneffe Island

My dad is interested in a week fishing and I will accompany him to, well, accompany him, and to snorkel and relax. I still would like to know the difference between the two. Is one better for fishing (grand slam style) and I understand that the snorkeling is not from shore. I read somewhere that one of them had only an airconditioned dining room which doesn't really appeal to us. i guess fishing is the most important factor since this trip is about his needs not mine. He's 79 and avid. We spent a week at ElPescador 3 years ago and he set the record for permit in consecutive days. He has his eye on tarpon and of course permit, bones are gravy to him!

Thanks for the help.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turneffe Island

my take on the places, until Katie suggested I go there, was that Turneffe Flats is more fishing oriented - but I dont know for sure. You might want to PM her - or check her site, which may have more of a description. I dont remember the url, but there is a link to it at the bottom of my "Back to Belize" post

My point about the snorkeling at Turneffe Flats was that is sounds pretty limited, unless they can do a custom package. The Atoll Adventure package also includes other things; they dont have a dedicated snorkelers package, like the other lodges, which sounds to me like they dont want to commit a boat to snorkeling daily or twice daily like the other atoll lodges tend to do. But, I shouldnt assume!

Glover's is a protected environment, so no fishing there (except for Lion Fish)

suitcaseready.com

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,750 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turneffe Island

TF for fishing. TIL has a pool, if that is important to you.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,839 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turneffe Island

The fishing is great on Glover's, you just have to practice catch and release within the reserve.

6. Re: Turneffe Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 21:16