We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I go ?

uk
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where should I go ?

We're hoping to visit Belize at the beginning of Jan but not sure where to go. We hear San Pedro is a good start with some cheap decent places to stay.

The main reason we fancy Belize is the diving but saying that all the must see dive sites look like they cost a fortune to get to from San Pedro. Or you have to stay in U$300+ pppn rooms right on the reefs.

Is there an affordable way to go diving and where should we stay?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should I go ?

Diving is much more expensive in Belize than on the Bay Islands of Honduras, but there are cheaper places to stay and the local reefs are very nice if you don't want to shell out for the long day trip to the Blue Hole. We chose Caye Caulker over Ambergris and were pleased with our choice.

Check out the cool downloads on Lan Sluder's website. Happy trails!

www.belizefirst.com

uk
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should I go ?

I've just been reading about the Bay Islands on Honduras,they look good but a lot of travellers seem to get bitten by sand flies & mosquitoes every day.

Did you find it bad yourself?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should I go ?

No - we've been lucky with steady sea breezes. We're also not lie-around-on-the-beach types, preferring more active pursuits. Belize can have a sand fly problem, too, depending on conditions, but we've never really been bothered either place.

Loads of photos and recommendations below. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections/

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should I go ?

I agree 100% with what Hopefulist said about Caye Caulker vs. San Pedro, much closer to the Blue Hole too. I did dive off Utila and it is the best deal for diving ever, but (sorry Hope) found the sand flies terrible, way more than Belize. Never dove off Roatan, but the island is a delight, would recommend it .

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,991 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should I go ?

Re: sand flies - I think it's partly luck. I've read bad reports about Hopkins, Caulker, Glover's Atoll, Utila, Guanaja, and Roatán but we've been blessedly free of the beasts in our visits to those areas. Pray for a breeze!!

6. Re: Where should I go ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 November 2011, 22:05
7. Re: Where should I go ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:19