We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
761 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

We are headed to Belize after Christmas and everything is booked, just need to think ahead about how a couple things.

First

We will be there about a week, Cayo/Placecenia mostly. Our jungle hotel has suggested that she would prefer to be paid the balance in US$. We will take that, but how much more should we take if many prefer US$? I understand ATM's only give Belize $. Thoughts on how to handle the currency issue?

Second.

We are traveling with kids and, although we have never bought trip insurance, we are thinking that it may be worthwhile to some type of emergency insurance to air lift us out if needed. We did not get such insurance in Peru last year, as they had a good road system, so it was not a great concern getting to a hospital quickly, when needed. But I keep hearing about long long bumpy car rides, so was thinking it would be reassuring, and likely not that expensive, just to get some coverage for medical. I remember I used to be a DAN member and it covered emergency medical. We are not so worried about trip cancellation, etc. Any thoughts, experiences? Of course we know the chances of anything happening is VERY slim, but I would sleep better if I knew we had that coverage.

TIA.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

USD is widely accepted in belize but you will use a mix of USD and BZD, just go and enjoy.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,559 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

I try and use the currency of the country I'm visiting. That said, US dollars are accepted everywhere. I use the ATMs the get the cash I need. I also use a Capitol One credit card, since it doesn't charge foreign transaction fees.

I have MedJet medical evacuation insurance. I have an annual policy, which isn't terribly expensive. However, I just looked at what it would cost a family for a week, and it seemed very expensive, I think US$170.00. Almost as much as my yearly policy.

The roads in Belize really aren't that bad, but, the health care simply isn't the greatest, if you need high tech types of care.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,145 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

Make sure you spend all your BZ$ before you leave Belize. Outside Belize, it could be difficult to exchange back to US$.

Edited: 14 December 2011, 17:06
Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

Check out insuremytrip. They offer various types of insurance, at varying rates. Put in what you want, and they will likely find you a plan. As "older" adults, we always have medical evacuation insurance when we go to a foreign country.

Sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

I am a big fan of the adage " if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel ". I also have year round insurance, which is a reasonable cost, but most policies insure you for so much more than a major medical problem. Lost baggage, theft, car bungles, delayed flights, terrorism etc etc. In 13 years I've used it once ( complete backpack went AWOL in India...hmmmmm ) but the peace of mind it brings is gold. Compare a few different policies and see what cover you need. I ski and dive, so that's a considerable extra, but most policies have a basic level. I'm heading to Belize in Feb..... can not wait!! Have a safe and happy holiday.

Mai

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

Everybody loves $us because they are worth more, but everyone is required to take $bz. So don't fret on using the ATM's, which can be found in all the tourist areas. MisterB has a good point about using all the local money before leaving. It is worthless anywhere else.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,559 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

I have the complete opposite view of travel insurance. I haven't purchased any since I quit buying 'package tours' when my kids were little.

We travel frequently, and I'm sure have paid for several trips with what the insurance would have cost us over the years.

Yes, we've had to pay out of pocket for hotel rooms when airline schedules changed and such, but, we're still literally thousands of dollars ahead.

Now, if we traveled differently, and had several thousand dollars tied up in non-refundable travel, it would be different.

I'm not telling people they shouldn't purchase the stuff, for many it's worth it for the peace of mind. Just not worth it to me......

8. Re: Two last questions - type of $ to take & emergency insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2012, 10:21