We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique accommodations? Our own island?

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Unique accommodations? Our own island?

We are looking for unique accommodations, possible on an island to ourselves or with very few people. Any ideas? We don't need luxury!

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique accommodations? Our own island?

Cayo Espanto or Tobacco Key.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique accommodations? Our own island?

Tobacco Caye is way too crowded for what it sounds like these folks are looking for. Minuscule island with five or six guest houses. I like it there for a couple of days, but it is tiny.....

I'm thinking Robert's Grove might have a private or semi-private island where people stay. Might be worth a look.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique accommodations? Our own island?

I'm not sure if this is private enough but Belize Lodge in the Toledo district overs a Transhabitat Journey where you stay in three different remote lodges. You start at a Jaguar Reserve the first night and then kayak down a river to Jungle Camp. You're literally in the middle of the wilderness. Cell phones won't work but the accommodations are very nice. After a couple days doing jungle hikes and water activities you then transfer by boat down the river out to Moho Caye which is a private island they own in the middle of a marine preserve. There are no other properties in this area. So you will have a sense of being removed from civilization, however, there are 8-10 other rooms at each stop. If you go in shoulder season (Oct/Nov/May/Jun) you might not see many other guests. But you could run into more issues with weather.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
208 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique accommodations? Our own island?

I believe French Louie Caye might be a place for you to look at also. We are going in Feb and it sounds like we will be the only ones there. We'll see how we like it!

5. Re: Unique accommodations? Our own island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2013, 10:21