We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
330 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

I will be in San Ignacio and Placencia. What can I bring that will help? I'm thinking things rather than money but please tell me what will be the most helpful.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

money

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,148 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

Many places are pleased to accept school supplies but I learned years ago that what is most often wanted is money so they can purchase exactly what they need. Alternatively, make contact with school personnel (or a local clinic or ??) when you get there and shop locally for exactly what they need. That way the local economy gets a boost, too.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

go by the city hall, ask for the mayor and discuss it.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

Go by city hall and ask the mayor? Which city hall where exactly, what mayor? San Ignacio has a mayor, Placencia has a village chairman. they would probably tell you what I am about to tell you - money. I would trust the VC of Placencia as I know him personally and he is exceptional. Otherwise, elected officials being given money - i don't think so.

I work with many volunteers in schools, and we are very grateful for the things which people bring, but our overarching need is to feed the poorest children, so money for funding feeding programmes is truly gratefully received. If you are not comfortable with giving money, then visit the school, ask to see the Principal, and ask what food they would like for their feeding programme, then buy it yourself locally and deliver it there.

If you want to bring something, childrens' multi vitamins are a good idea, so cheap in the US. Also, small musical instruments like dollar recorders, you can get in Walmart, mouth organs, are good. Deflated soccer balls with bicyle type pumps are another good item. We are generally drowing in a sea of crayons and coloured pencils.

Thanks for your very kind thought. Our school system and children do depend very much on outside help. For more information you can check out www.anglicanschoolsbz.com

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
330 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

Thanks - we will make sure a $ donation gets in the right program's hands and I will work on the other suggestions as those are easy things for me to bring.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

I like to take sports equipment. Last visit, we took deflated soccer balls.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

This summer, we also took a tote bag of new books for the Gallon Jug school.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

Otherwise, elected officials being given money - i don't think so."

the mayor of san pedro is a very decent person. the fact that you dont know her means absolutely nothing. I have which is exactly why I suggested the idea.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

"the mayor of san pedro is a very decent person."

Now, that's funny.....

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What can I bring from home to help the local kids?

do you have something to add Jeanh or are we going to just make wisecracks