We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay

My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize in May and can't decide where to stay. We want to be on the beach but also close to things like the cave tubing, mayan ruins etc. Any suggestions?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,496 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay

I'd suggest staying on Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker or at Placencia, and doing those activities as day trips, or spend a few nights in San Ignacio.

If it was my trip, I'd stay in San Ignacio for a few nights.

Edited: 03 March 2012, 23:31
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay

Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker are great for diving, but bear in mind that AC is close to 2 hours by boat from the mainland, ad CC just a bit closer, so travelling to land based activities is protracted.

My choice would be Placencia, which now has two new local zip lines, one being the longest one in Belize, the other at Big Falls also offering Cave tubing. These are a road trip away, but in the case of the long Bocawena zipline, pretty close, and in the case of Big Falls, a very pretty journey for most of the way.

You can also do the Monkey River trip which is the most popular trip from Placencia, the remote southern reef and cayes, diving, snorkling etc.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay

I'm going to argue a bit with the distance to the mainland from Ambergris. We went with Tanisha to Lamanai a few weeks ago, and the trip to the mainland was almost exactly an hour. It's closer to 90 minutes by water taxi, but, the trip to Lamanai doesn't take us all the way into Belize City, rather just north of their, by the airport.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,398 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best area to stay

I'd suggest a split, too - start in Cayo District and end on Ambergris or Caulker (I'd choose the latter). If you tell us more about your interests, budget, and time frame we could help you more. Happy trails!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best area to stay

Hopkins would be your best bet for beaches and access to the cave tubing at either Caves Branch or through independent operators at the inland Blue Hole. It is also MUCH closer to the zip line at Bocawina/Mayflower Park mentioned in post #2 than Placencia. Hopkins is close to both Cockscomb Jaguar Reserve, where you can do a lazy float on the Sittee River and the Sittee River itself where you can rent canoes. IMHO, all the beach locations are too far for a day trip to the major ruins and ATM cave, so I think you should decide how much time you want to spend on those activities and stay in Cayo during that time.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best area to stay

I just posted to a very similar thread:

-----------------------------------------------

Many people split up between Cayo and Placencia or one of the cayes. You might check out Ambergris Caye and Placencia. On AC, you can get in at Tranquility Bay Resort.

In Cayo, you could do the iguana hatchery and Cahal Pech on a local day, the market and Xunantunich on another day, ATM one day, possibly, and Caracol and MPR on another.

Maybe 4 nights at each location. On the cayes, be sure and do Hol Chan Marine Reserve.

Have a great trip!

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best area to stay

Thank you all. We're leaning toward Placencia, which leads me to another question. What is the best way to get around for day trips? Is it advisable to rent a car? or depend more on taxis, buses, etc?

We've travelled to Jamaica many times and St Lucia, but we've never been brave enough to try driving in local traffic.

8. Re: Best area to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 16:43