We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Driving Times and Directions

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need help with Driving Times and Directions

I swear every map and directions I look at are totally different on this subject! So I need help with the following drive times and anything we need to know about directions! We are renting a car at the airport in Belize.

International Airport to San Ignacio?

San Ignacio to Tikal?

San Ignacio to Hopkins?

Hopkins to Placencia?

Placencia to Airport?

Thank you!!!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Driving Times and Directions

International Airport to San Ignacio?

1.5 hours

This is if you use the Burrell Boom Road (north of the airport) which connects the Northern Highway and the Western Highway.

If you back to Belize City, add at least 30 minutes to the time.

Let me know if you need more info about the Boom Road -- it should be on any map of Belize.

San Ignacio to Tikal?

About 3.5 hours (that's a rough guess because it's a rough road)

San Ignacio to Hopkins?

About 3 hours

Hopkins to Placencia?

About 1 hour

Placencia to Airport?

About 3 hours.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 21:07
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Driving Times and Directions

Placencia to Airport?

Make that more like 3.5 to 4 hours.

I've done it but can't remember the exact times, and we took a break.

Belize City to Belmopan is almost exactly 1 hour at 50 mph (the maximum speed limit). The Western Highway is flat and mostly straight -- just be aware that it gets VERY slippery in wet conditions.

Airport to Belmopan is also almost exactly 1 hour if you use the Boom Road. When you exit the airport road, you could turn right to go to Belize City, but instead, turn left and go for a few miles and watch for the signs to the Boom Road (it's a T-intersection). Turn left onto the Boom Road and go until you reach the Western Highway roundabout, then go right to Belmopan/San Ignacio.

Belmopan to San Ignacio is only 37 km / 23 miles, but there are a several villages along the way and you have to slow down for the speed bumps.

If you see a Coastal Road/Highway on your map, that road is not paved.

Edited: 13 April 2012, 21:29
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Driving Times and Directions

Don't use the Coastal Road it is very rough and even though it looks shorter, it's not.

The Hopkins road used to be pretty rouugh, I think it has been paved recently though. and not rough enough to deter anyone.

The road to San Ignacio although a main highway is horrible to drive. The edges are really brukkup, as we say here. So drive with care.

Never drive at night unless it is a very short distance. the roads are not lit or ill lit, pedestrians and and animals wander around, bicyces never have lights, and Belizean drivers are pretty poor on average.

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Driving Times and Directions

This is the best highway map for Belize...

amazon.com/Belize-250-Travel-International-M…

Ditto on going through Burrell Boom. Faster, and Belize City is basically a dump.

Ditto on avoiding the Coastal Road. The Hummingbird Highway is paved and the scenery is beautiful.

No way I would drive to Tikal. You won't have insurance and you aren't familiar with the paperwork and taxes involved with crossing the border twice. It's just so much easier to do the trip with one of the top rated tour companies like PACZ Tours...

http://www.pacztours.net/belize/tikal.html

5. Re: Need help with Driving Times and Directions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 19:41