We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Europe

Wales
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Europe

Apologies if this has been asked recently, but I can't immediately find the answer in a search.

Can anyone tell me if there's a straightforward way of flying to Belize from Europe without having to go via the US? If the answer is no, which is the best (timings, ease of transit) US airport to transfer (please don't tell me it's Miami!).

Many thanks

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Europe

No, you can't fly nonstop from Europe.

Flights from the US are through Dallas and Miami on American. Atlanta on Delta. Houston on United/Continental. Charlotte on US Air. There used to be a Continental flight once a week out of Newark. I don't know if it survived the merger.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Europe

Likely you can get a direct flight to Cancun. Then it's a simple matter of taking a first class bus (I find them much more comfortable than the plane) to the border, crossing into Belize and carrying on from there.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Europe

Thanks, will do some more investigating. I knew there were no direct flights but was hoping I could transit somewhere other than the US (esp MIA). I think all the US options involve an overnight stay.

I will look myself, but are there direct flights into the international airport from, say, Mexico City or Havana? A bit long in the tooth for the bus, but thanks for the lateral thinking!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Europe

There are no flights between Mexico and Belize.

If you fly to Mexico City, you could then get a flight to Chetumal, a city about 10 km from the Mexico/Belize border. Get a bus or transfer service to get you into Belize, or get the water taxi from Chetumal to Ambergris Caye.

There's a bit of bus & water taxi info on this site...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

Wales
Level Contributor
2,224 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Europe

Thanks everyone. Water taxi sounds great but for my purposes it looks like it's going to have to be via the US.

Thanks again

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Europe

MisterB266 do you know more about the interjet flights from Mexico City to Chetumal?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Europe

I don't have schedules or fares, but I have met 1 person who has done it and heard of others.

8. Re: Flights from Europe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:43