We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Topic
Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

There are so many jungle lodges with good reviews that it is hard to choose. I had read reviews and forum posts and finally had decided that Table Rock seemed like a good match for our family. Upon contacting them, I found out they could not accomodate us for our first night. Since we have a specific window for our trip, and I want to start in the jungle and move to the beach that won't work. Now I have been back to the reviews and websites, looking at Mystic River, Mariposa, Cha Creek, etc., but I thought maybe with a few details somebody can help me with a good match.

1. We are a family of 5: my husband and I, daughters 21 and 19, and a son, 13. We would either need two separate rooms/cabanas or one larger one with two bedrooms.

2. Our plan is to send 4 nights at a jungle lodge to experience Aktun Chen, cave tubing, hiking around the lodge grounds, etc. Then would like to head to Tikal for 2 nights and stay at the Tikal Inn, and finally finish our trip with a few nights or so on Ambergris Caye to snorkel and relax.

3. We are mostly vegan, though 2 of us eat occasional seafood, so staying someplace that will accomodate our dietary needs is important to us.

I appreciate your advice!

Thank you!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
880 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

I have stayed at duPlooy's Jungle lodge twice and loved it. The have a great range of accommodations to choose from to suit your configuration - e.g. connecting jungle lodge rooms or the 2-story casita. The hiking/canoeing around the lodge is super and they can arrange all excursions, including Tikal overnights. Great guides and the kitchen would be able to handle dietary requirements, as long as you let them know in advance. It's a truly great setting. I traveled only with my husband, but observed numerous multi-generational families having a great time.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,970 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

We had a blast at Macal River Camp, Chaa Creek's jungly cousin - check it out:

www.belizecamp.com

Your plan sounds good. Did you Mean Actun Tunichil Muknal?

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Monterey
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Check out Belcampo Lodge ..... you will think you died and went to heaven. Their organic farm furnishes the most incredible fruits and veggies for anyone vegan, and they have seafood on occassion (when I was there)... The sustainability program is amazing and the friendly staff are both committed and friendly helpful in sharing this vision with others.... Gormet vegan at its best!

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

My wife and I stayed at Chaa Creek as part of a tour through Belize in April 2010, and we really enjoyed our time there. The grounds are lovely, the staff is super friendly and helpful and there is plently to do on the grounds, not to mention the day-trips that can be taken. There is a really nice pool facility (I think is was built in 2009, so still new). The food is also awesome! There are several hikes, including guided nature walks, on sight, as well as horseback riding. Canoeing is also an option on the Macal River. We did a day-trip to Tikal, which made for a long day, but was well worth it.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Mountain Equestrian Trails is also worth a look. I just recommended them for some people that love riding horses. You can ride horses to caves and waterfalls, and then take a break to explore and swim. How's that for Awesome?

Best of luck!

http://www.metbelize.com

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Hey,

I stayed at Pook's Hill and had a good experience. Used the lodge there as a home and then did day trips to ATM cave, Xunantanich, and then went to Tikal as a day trip (that was too long of a day and should have stayed longer; good choice for you to stay a few nights). Pook's Hill was a great place to stay with a relaxing feel, great food, and a beautiful location with a lot of space to hike and swim. The hosts were great and arranged for us to hike from the property to the start of the ATM cave tour. I went with my wife a few years back, but it is a place I look forward to visiting with my children as they would love it. I made my arrangements for the excursions, lodging, and then a trip to Hopkins with Adventure Life. Arranged good trip for us, and I can definitely say I will return.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Try Pook's Hill and ask for their two canopy walk cabins. They are right in the jungle, are delux and are side by side. You and your hubby could have one and the kids could have the other. They have 2 big beds each. We stayed there for our first experience in Belize and really it remains one of my favourite memories. It's jungly, quiet, close to the caves, great hang out main lodge, they are super friendly and would probably meet your food needs.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

Thank you for your suggestions! I have been continuing to research.

1. Cha Creek is only offering all inclusive packages for during the winter holiday period and only with arrival the day before we arrive, so that won't work.

2. Belcampo looked wonderful to me, but is out of our price range.

3. Pook's Hill looked very interesting. I really like their proximity to ATM. They have availability for our dates, but "bird cabins" (which I think are the cabins gatopaja was referring to as the "canopy walk cabins" are booked. They did look ideal. They can offer us 2 of their regular cabins.

So, I think, unless there are other ideas, I have it narrowed down to Pook's (if the non bird walk cabins are adequate) or Black Rock Lodge.

Has anyone stayed at Black Rock Lodge, or in Pook's Hill non bird cabins that can comment?

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

We saw the little cabins when we were there. They are cute, clean, adequate - bed, bathroom. I think when you are there, you are so active during the day, you come home, shower and then head to the lodge for cocktail time and dinner and pretty much go to bed by 9:00. You don't really spend that much time in your place. No kidding. It gets dark around 6. Folks are up really early for birding, trips to Tikal, etc. so it's pretty quiet at night. The smaller cabanas don't have a place to hang out outside but the lodge is beautiful. It's all open with lots of seating, hammocks, books, and a serve yourself honour bar. There are lots of pix in the reviews. There are also some nice trails around the lodge as well as a great swimming hole in the river which you can walk down to. Oh, and there are fireflies. We don't have those on the west coast here, so that was quite magical for me. As you can tell, I was quite enchanted with the place! The birding was great too. The food was pretty good too. Local Belizean, pretty simple but delicious and plentiful.

This summer, we had friends, with two little kids, who went to Black Rock. They had a really good time. They canoed and hiked. It was second on our list for our last trip and I'd still like to try it.

Edited: 22 June 2012, 06:04
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Jungle Lodge in San Ignacio Area?

The other thing about Pooks is that it just seems more Belizean than Chaa Creek to me. I know people love Chaa Creek but it was a little too upscale and resorty for me - a little too manicured-and too many families with little kids running all over-see my review.