We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go?

Ontario
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go?

Hello,

I would like to get some advice from previous travellers who have been to central america. My husband and I are looking to travel to central america at the end of december and into Jan. We will be travelling for about 15-17 days. We have already been to costa rica. Where would you advise us to travel to? We are back packers in our late twenties, we are adventrous and like to do activities, more so than seeing historic stuff ie. museums, churches etc. My husband is interested in Belize because of the scuba diving.

Please let me know if you have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go?

Belize is a great choice; it would be easy to fill 2-3 weeks there or you could fly into Guatemala and out of Belize and see parts of both. Or focus mainly on Belize but dip into Guatemala to visit Tikal. Loads of photos and recommendation below. Happy planning!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go?

Belize and Western Guatemala would be a good time, and instead of going to museums, you can walk on ruins. You could see most of Belize, and do 'The Loop' by going through Rio Dulce, Livingston, and PG.

Have fun!

Maryville, TN
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go?

I enjoyed visiting the Cayo District in Belize and stayed at Pook's Hill. The ATM cave is one of the coolest things I have ever done. And we went over to Guatemala for a few days from there. I also spent time in Hopkins and San Pedro, and I much prefered Hopkins as it was more calm and laidback than Ambergris Caye.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
521 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go?

if you're backpacking, tobacco caye is about as off the beaten path as i've ever been. i did some scuba diving there, but it wasn't fantastic as other places in belize could be. The most interesting dive spot was the shark cave: the entrance is probably 20' in diameter and it bottoms out at like 120'. i did see one shark in there, but not much else. and it doesn't get pitch black like the name would entail as the entrance allowed plenty of light to come in.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go?

Ditto on Sharks cave. We saw a tiger in the cave. Great dive

Kalispell, Montana
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go?

I am wanting to go to Belize to enjoy the beaches and get a chance to relax. I will be alone and do want to see some sites, but enjoy the sun, sand and beach...any suggestions for a fabulous getaway, yet safe for a woman by herself?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,907 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go?

Tammy-Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye, Hopkins and Placencia are all good options for beach where you'll meet other travelers. They are each different in flavor and options, so read about them to find out which best suits your needs.

Brighton, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go?

Belize, Nicaragua and Panama are all awesome purely because they are the less visited of the central American countries and are therefore the best preserved naturally. Panama has 15 national parks, and almost half of Belize and Nicaragua are covered in rain forest.

Kalispell, Montana
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to go?

Is it easy yot find out how to travel to Nicaragua and Panama once I get to Belize or should I research the itinerary and make plans ahead of time?

10. Re: Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 05:42