We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mainland or Island?

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Mainland or Island?

My husband and I are planning an 8day/7night honeymoon to Belize in September. We're planning on staying 3nights in the Cayo area (either at Table Rock or duPlooy's Jungle Lodge). We want to check out the ATM cave and Xunantunich while we're there. We next plan on spending 4 nights at a beach hotel, however we can't figure out the best area to stay in. We're looking at either Singing Sands or Laru Beya in Placencia or maybe Pelican Beach at South Water Caye. We've looked at a few places in Ambergris Caye as well, but so far haven't seen anything that's really caught our eye. We want to do a bit of snorkeling, relaxing and maybe a trip to the Jaguar Preserve/Ziplining. Any recommendations for beach area hotels, snorkeling trips or other activities? Is it better to stay on the mainland or go to an island? Thanks!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,909 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mainland or Island?

Stay in Hopkins or Placencia for the Jaguar Preserve, with zip lines and rapelling in nearby Bocawina or further south in toledo

Belize
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mainland or Island?

Define your expectations of your beach hotel "experience". when you picture yourself on this Belize vacation arriving at your beach hotel - what do you picture? Let me know that and I will tell you the places that best meet it! Some ideas to get you started...

remote & isolated...?

hotel room setting or individual beach cabanas?

walking or reasonable access to "downtown" areas?

snorkeling from shore or just loungiing on the beach?

full day snorkeling day trips or short morning tours?

Go from there and let me know :)

Kim

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mainland or Island?

I bet you would like Southwater Caye. Placencia is a great spot, and we go there often for quick trips. And, as Katie mentioned, Cockscomb Basin is a great spot, for a night or 2.

Enjoy your vacation!

4. Re: Mainland or Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 August 2012, 21:35
Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
202 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mainland or Island?

Take a look at French Louie Caye, you can have the whole island to yourself, perfect for a honeymoon. You are free to do as much or as little as you want, awesome snorkeling. We stayed there in Feb and it was incredible. Have fun.

6. Re: Mainland or Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:15