We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

I'm planning a group trip (for work associates) to Belize. I'm looking at Ambergris Caye or Palencia. Aside from the 45 minute (3-stop) flight to Palencia, what are the major differences? The group will want good food, nice beach, swimming, snokeling, possible land tours, and obviously the best deal for their money. If Palencia, any recommendations for a hotel with up to 12 rooms?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

Ambergris Caye is busier, has many more options for hotels/food/drink/music.

It's less than a mile to the reef for snorkeling/diving. The beaches are narrow, but, are soft, white sand. Because of the proximity of the reef, there are few waves, so there is sea grass growing in the water. For that reason, most swimming is done off the docks.

Mainland tours are easily arranged, but, they can be pricy, and are all day affairs.

Placencia has really pretty beaches. However, the sand is darker and coarser. In my very limited time in Placencia, I've found the water to be murky and not very clear. It's 18 or so miles to the reef, so snorkeling trips tend to be all day events. Easier access to mainland tours than from Ambergris.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,795 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

www.placencia.com

The flight from Intl to Placencia does not always have 3 stops and could be direct and the plane holds up to 13 passengers

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

I would choose Placencia, it is less touristy and much easier to access a variety of activities from snorkling the crystal waters of the reef, fishing, scuba, zip lining, smaller Mayan sites, jungle trips etc. It has a reasonable range of restaurants, including some very good ones indeed. Check out Paradise Resort, Seaspray, higher end Roberts Grove and Turtle Inn, also Laru Beya. Placencia is both a village and a peninsula, my preference is to stay from Maya Beach south.

Frederick, Maryland
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

I appreciate all the input - it seems there are no affordable resorts large enough to accommodate our group. (hard to find champagne on a beer budget).

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,755 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

What do you consider affordable? Let us know and we may be able to help.

6. Re: Ambergris Caye or Palencia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 05:16