We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus to Belize?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Bus to Belize?

My sister & I are planning a trip to Belize in the spring. We could cut our airfare costs in half by flying into Cancun & taking a bus to Belize. Obviously, I'd love to save the money, but is it safe for us to travel by bus?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus to Belize?

The Mexican bus company, ADO, is excellent -- first-class express buses (with good a/c) and very safe.

The service to Chetumal is frequent -- every couple of hours. If you go there, you can continue to Belize by water taxi to Ambergris Caye, or by private transfer service, or by Belizean bus (old school buses).

The only ADO bus that goes to Belize is a daily overnight bus from Cancun to Belize City. Let me know if you need more info.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus to Belize?

ADO has the best buses in the hemisphere. Very reliable. I've had friends save more than enough to pay for their whole time in Belize by flying into Cancun. Plus, you can play in Tulum a night, or Cancun.

Safe Journeys!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus to Belize?

why would you think it unsafe? I mean it sure aint atlanta.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus to Belize?

I actually live in East Cobb, & I do not take the bus in Atlanta.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus to Belize?

Bus incidents don't always receive media coverage here in Belize, but a few years ago, a bus hold-up occurred between Tulum and Chetumal. Perhaps the only reason it made the Belize news was because the bus had Belizean passengers.

If this forum has a Mexico section, post a message requesting information about bus safety.

Edited: 22 August 2012, 14:08
Vancouver
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus to Belize?

In January we be taking the bus from Tulum . Could you give me more info.

I would like to do the Belize part by water taxi - how long is the trip and where can I get help to figure out the schedule? thanks

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,638 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus to Belize?

Where exactly are you going?

This site should answer all your questions...

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

La Libertad, El...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus to Belize?

An example for Americans barely acceptable being 1, excellent 10

Greyhound for safety/comfort/helpful staff rates 1

ADO regular 8

ADO executive 10

Belizeian school buses 5

9. Re: Bus to Belize?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 17:18