We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help.

This is what I have planned so far. Any advice, suggestions, critiques?

November 16th + 17th - catch a domestic flight to Placencia

18th + 19th - Transfer to Drangria for Settlers day

20th - 23rd - Bus from Drangria to Belize city and a water taxi to Caye Caulker

24th - Get a room at the Belize zoo and go for the late night tour

25th - head to Caves branch for zip lining in the afternoon and sunset cave tubing

26th - San Ignacio

27th - continue on to Guatemala

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help.

Consider this: http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help.

Would you do the day or overnight tour? My wife and I are both fit and adventurous.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help.

I've only done the day tour. If you have the $$ and it sounds like fun, go for overnight and then come back and tell us all about it. :-)

Phoenix
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help.

If you guys like a good adventure, then do Crystal Cave/Mountain Cow Cave in the Blue Hole National Park. Drive to the park entrance and book directly with them for the following day or a few days later. You'll spend a good 4-6 hours in the cave. It makes ATM look like a walk in the park!! An amazing journey into xialbalba!! Afterwards take a dip in the blue hole to wash off since you'll be covered head to toe in mud!!

Also schedule a 320ft black hole drop with Cave's Branch! Not really a black hole, but a fun little hike through the jungle followed by a repel down a sinkhole.

We truly loved our time inland. In addition to the two activities mentioned, we also spent a day driving to Caracol and experiencing the Mountain Pine region with a final stop at Rio-on Pools.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help.

We're avid, fit hikers but as much as we loved the Black Hole Drop I wouldn't call it 'a fun little hike'. Wouldn't want unfit non-hiker types to think there's no elevation gain or dues paid before you get to the repel or back out, for that matter.

I've enjoyed the ATM, Actun Halal, and Actun Chapat but haven't visited Mt. Cow yet. Just another excuse to return!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary help.

Wow! Some awesome suggestions! I agree that the mt cow might be a bit more than we want. We're adventerous but inexperienced.

Any advice on getting from the zoo to the caves branch?

@hopefulist - the tour company you linked shows both a zipline tour and a cave tubing tour. Do you know if they do a sunset cave tube?

Thanks so much for helping!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,693 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary help.

You can either hire a private shuttle (spendy) to take you from the zoo to Caves Branch, take buses, or a combination. You can take a bus heading west (wait on the zoo side of the road and flag them down briskly) to Belmopan, then switch to a bus heading to Dangriga or further south and get off at the road leading into to Caves Branch; the walk is pushing a mile, I think. We bused to Belmopan and then negotiated for a taxi to take us clear into the lodge when we visited years ago, saving us the hike in with luggage in the high heat and humidity.

You'd have to ask Pacz about what they offer if you want something their website doesn't list. Happy trails!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary help.

Another vote for Mountain Cow cave at the Blue Hole park, which is across the street from Ian Anderson's Cave Branch. Such an amazing cave.

Edited: 20 October 2012, 02:26
Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary help.

Was there a particular reason why you would head directly to Caye Caulker from Dangriga? I would break up the rather long bus ride by stopping at Caves Branch to do the zip line and cave tubing, as you will go right by it; then head on to Caye Caulker. You can stop at the zoo either going to or coming from Caye Caulker

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary help.

Yup. To avoid the cruise ships. Also, we are moving on to Guatemala so Belmopan is on the way west.