We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

We will be going to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico in the next few months, and thought it might be fun to take a few extra days at the end of the trip, and head down to Belize. We are taking the ADO bus from PDC to Chetumal. We have taken ADO several times in the past for other excursions, but nothing as far as Belize (or across the border). Do we catch the water taxi/ferry to San Pedro in Chetumal (is it one bus ride and one boat ride)? Has anyone out there in "Tripadvisor land" ever made this journey, and if so, how long and tiresome is this adventure going to be? My husband and I are adventurous, but some of the other couples are skeptical and think the whole thing sounds too complicated. I know it will take several hours, but I just was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who may have done this before. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
593 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,264 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

This link should answer many of your questions.

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

The bus ride to Chetumal from Playa del Carmen is between four and five hours, I think closer to five.

The water taxis from Chetumal leave around 3pm, I think the ride is about 1 hr 40 minutes or so.

I've done the bus ride, but, used a transfer company to cross the border, then flew to San pedro from Corozal. That was before the water taxi existed.

Mentioned in this post
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Corozal Town
Corozal Town
Corozal, Belize
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

The ADO express bus from Playa takes 4.5 hours to reach Chetumal. ADO has a website with schedules & fares. You'll need to leave Playa early enough so that you arrive in Chetumal before 2pm.

The bus terminates at the ADO bus terminal in Chetumal. If you see anyone selling water taxi tickets in the bus terminal, ignore them -- go directly outside and get a taxi.

The water taxis use the main pier, “Muelle Fiscal”, which is close to the big Government building, “Palacio Gobierno”, at the waterfront. Check the map of Chetumal on my BelizeBus site for the locations of the ADO bus terminal and the pier. The pier is also visible on Google Earth.

It’s about 3.5 km from the ADO terminal to the pier. A taxi should take about 10 minutes, and cost MX$15 (that’s pesos). The taxi driver might not know about the water taxi, but he/she will know the pier. Write it down if you can’t pronounce it.

There are two water taxi companies providing service between San Pedro and Chetumal (see websites for schedules & fares):

a) San Pedro Water Jets International:

http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/index.html

b) San Pedro – Belize Express:

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

Trip time: 90 minutes.

The water taxi offices are beside each other. If you go to both to get information, you might be able to negotiate a reduced fare.

For the return trip, the water taxis depart San Pedro in the morning. You can get a taxi to the ADO terminal and then get an express bus to your destination. Buses to Cancun depart about every 2 hours.

I don't know if you want to spend any time in Chetumal. It's not really high on the list for tourists, but there is a good Museum of Maya Culture.

When you depart Mexico, there is no exit fee even though Immigration might ask for money. No fees to pay when entering Belize (assuming you're from Canada or USA), but there is a departure fee. When you re-enter Mexico, you will get a new FMM (tourist/visitor card/form) and will have to pay the fee (294 pesos) for that.

Mentioned in this post
Chetumal
Chetumal
Quintana Roo, Mexico
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Ado
Ado
593 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
701 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Belize
Belize
Central America
United States
United States
North America
Kalimantan...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

Note that San Pedro Belize Express operates on every second day from Sept to Dec.

Mentioned in this post
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

Having taken the ADO bus scores of times from PlayaCar and Cancun to Chet, I'd say it's a nice, clean ride. But, I wouldn't do it if you only had a day or so to spend in Belize. Hit another Mexican spot, and focus on Belize next time with a full week or 2.

If you really want to do it, take the overnight ADO bus to Belize City, that way you can sleep(bring something warm since it's very cold on ADO buses) on the way, and save the cost of a hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Ado
Ado
593 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Playacar Palace
Playacar Palace
270 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Belize
Belize
Central America
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

Thanks so much for the response. We will have 4 days in Belize, so I'm hoping this will be sufficient time. Having traveled extensively around Mexico, we are ready for somewhere new.

Are there any "must-see" places we should go during our stay? We will be staying at captain Morgan's. thanks again!!!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
6. Re: Help! Need advice on traveling from Playa D. C. to S. Pedro!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2013, 10:15