We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

The Blue Hole snorkel tours from Ambergris Caye seem to be about $200 US. I am considering the tour in February and have a few questions:

1)Is there more coral or more fish or is the coral in better shape at the Blue Hole than you would see at Hol Chan,Mexico Rocks,Tres Loco and Caye Caulker?(ie is it worth the extra money that it cost to go to the Blue Hole)

2) Is the Blue hole meant more for divers than snorkellers?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

Just bumping this up to see if anyone can provide any info that has perhaps recently been there.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

the Blue Hole is a small spot on a large atoll, with pristine coral because there is so little traffic compared to sites close to shore that have had generations of boat traffic. The snorkel conditions at the Blue Hole are no different from what you would find at other spots around Lighthouse, but that's where the boats will take you. The Blue Hole itself is for divers and personally I don't see the point. It's cold and sterile and there is nothing to see except rock formations near the depth limit for recreational diving, 135 feet. Divers breathing compressed air ( as opposed to enriched oxygen mixtures) get to spend maybe 3 minutes at that depth and then have to get out and return to the surface, while the snorkelers who came along are having a better experience. But there is little for snorkelers to see that they won;t see at the western edge of Terneffe Atoll, which is a lot cheaper and closer to AC. Once you leave the protection of the AC reef you are in the open ocean, and the crossing to Terneffe or Lighthouse can be rough, especially in a small boat, so rough that it is frequently cancelled. I think that the snorkelers at Blue Hole must be the non-diving spouses of people going there to dive. Otherwise it would be very hard to justify.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

Thanks for the info re the Blue Hole.

I will be staying on Ambergris Caye.Can I get from AC to the western edge of Turneffe Atoll for snorkelling without chartering a boat? Which companies offer tours to the western edge of Turneffe atoll? If none, are there any other areas that have pristine coral that are accessible by regularly scheduled boat from AC?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Lake Forest...
Level Contributor
569 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

dhauk had the same info as I was going to say, except that we went to the BH from Turneffe Island Resort. It was 1 1/2 boat trip each way. The BH was unexceptional--nice snorkeling but not worth the time in the boat. They also took us to Half Moon Caye for snorkeling and a BBQ. The snorkeling at Half Moon was excellent, especially with the guide who found us an octopus. None of it was worth the time on a boat and the money that you would spend from Ambergris IMHO. Turneffe was awesome! Twice daily guided boat snorkels that were about 5 minutes from the lodge and great accommodations. Pricey, though, and 1 1/2 hours by boat from Belize City which was OK in good weather, but would be really sick-making in large swells, if you are prone to that. We enjoyed the snorkeling from Ambergris a lot, so if that is where you are going, I would say explore there and enjoy!

Sally in Seattle

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

dean, some of the dive shops offer scheduled dive trips to Terneffe and I assume that they also carry snorkelers for a lower cost. I can't say which shops to check with since I went to Terneffe out of Caulker. But you could check the web sites for various shops or just ask around when you get to AC. Once you have a reservation for the trip they will tell you that it can be cancelled by weather. Neither they nor you want to make that crossing in rough weather. I recall we had a rather rough crossing including warm rain, but no one really minded, at least the ones who weren't seasick. The diving was very good and I assume so was the snorkeling. WE dove at the closest possible site on Terneffe. not necessarily the best site. At the particular shop I dove with, the Terneffe trip was the only dive trip offered that day. I think they went once a week.

6. Re: Blue Hole Snorkel Tours from Ambergris Caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 05:17