We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

New York, New York...
8 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

Hi Everyone! My boyfriend and I are in our mid 20s and are planning to visit Mexico / Belize / Guatamala over a 12 day period at the end of December. We enjoy beaches, but are semi-adventurous and enjoy cultural experiences and enjoy water sports / hiking (doing things instead of lounging on a beach).

I have 2 questions:

1) What is the quickest way to get from Cancun area (we plan to stay in Tulum) to Ambergis Caye? We looked into bus / ground transportation and it looks like it'll take 9 hours!! Are there flights at all?

2) Please help us with our itinerary (Yucutan => Ambergris => Guatamala) and let us know if we are missing anything (jungle? Belize mainland?) or being to ambitious. We are a go-go-go couple, but don't want to miss out or exhaust ourselves:

Day 1: Mexico: Flight to Cancun, Taxi to Tulum

Day 2: Stay in Tulum, Mexico; Visit Chichen Itza Ruins (2.5 Hrs Each Way)

Day 3: Stay in Tulum, Mexico; Visit Aktun Chen Caves (0.5 Hrs Each Way)

Day 4: Bus to Chetumal, Taxi to the Pier, Boat to Ambergris (9 Hrs

)

Day 5: Stay in Ambergris, Belize; Snorkeling or Diving at Reef

Day 6: Stay in Ambergris, Belize; Relaxing at the Beach

Day 7: Tropic Air Flight Ambergris to Flores w/ Stop at Belize City (4 Hrs)

Day 8: Stay in Flores, Guatamala; Visit Tikal Ruins (Including Sunrise)

Day 9: Explore Flores, Guatamala; Taca Air Flight Flores to Guat. City, Cab to Antigua (1 Hr)

Day 10: Stay in Antigua, Guatamala; Hike Pacaya Volcano (1 Hr Drive Each Way, Plus Hiking)

Day 11: Stay in Antigua, Guatamala; Visit Lake Atitlan (1.5 Hrs Each Way)

Day 12: Bus / Taxi from Antigua to Guatemala City (1 Hr), Flight to NYC

Thank you!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,341 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

If you time it right, the trip from Tulum to Ambergris could be closer to six hours. Four hours from Tulum to Chetumal, only a few minutes for the cab ride to where the water taxi goes. It's then about two hours, I think a little less, to Ambergris.

Your timing has to be right, both water taxi companies depart Chetumal about 3pm, and I don't think they're running every day right now.

You could also take the bus to Chetumal, get across the border and to the Corozal airstrip, and fly to Ambergris from there. It's been a few years, but, I think the flight is somewhere around 25 minutes. Tropic Air and Maya Island Air both have flights.

I certainly wouldn't try and back track to Cancun and fly from there. It's two hours from the Cancun airport to Tulum. Plus the huge headaches that seem to go along with that aiirport.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

There are no flights from Tulum to Belize.

Chetumal has an airport, but I don't know of any flights from the Tulum area to Chetumal.

The ADO express bus from Tulum takes 3.5 hours to reach Chetumal, and buses depart about every two hours (a private shuttle might be a bit quicker by maybe 30 minutes). You should plan to get to Chetumal before 2pm to give you enough time to get the water taxi. The water taxi takes about 90 minutes to reach San Pedro.

Another option after reaching Chetumal is to get to Corozal (bus/taxi/private shuttle) and fly from there.

The 9 hour bus trip you mentioned sounds like the overnight bus to Belize City.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

Water taxis from Chetumal

Currently, there is only one boat per day with the two companies operating on alternate days. This might continue until January.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

Day 1: That's an expensive taxi ride -- I'd look at buses.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

Tell me, if I get to Guatemala city at 22:00 should I stay there or go to Antigua and how?

Is It dangerous to do so that late?

6. Re: Itinerary advice + flights from Cancun to San Pedro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2014, 05:16