We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

My husband and I are planning to go to Belize in April but are very confused as to which part of Belize to head to. We aren't into snorkelling or diving, but still like to experience the water and beaches.

We love to do tours/trips and experience the country and culture, but are not sure which area to stay in. We thought perhaps Placencia (at the Placencia resort or Chabil Mar Resort) or the Hamanasi Resort near Hopkins.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,022 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

If you want to experience local culture, I'd eliminate the Placencia Hotel. It sort of sits by itself on the peninsula. A fairly long cab ride into the village itself. If you choose Chabil Mar, you'll be walking distance to the village.

I'm not sure how close Hamanasi is to Hopkins, once again, you'll get a better feel for the local culture when you spend time in the villages.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,903 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

It would make better sense to book into an area on the mainland closer to the activities that appeal to you and also spend a few days on the beach. Look at the Cayo and Toledo districts

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

Hamanasi would be your best bet, lovely beach, perfect for swimming. It is a short bike ride into the Garifuna village of Hopkins and they offer land tours to most of the inland sites such as Cockscomb and Mayflower parks (where you can zip line).

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

I'd split between Cayo and Placencia. You can do the caves, ruins, and waterfalls in Cayo, and get your beach time in Placencia. You can hit some great sights along the way, like the zoo, the Blue Hole, and St. Herman's Cave.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

Thanks so much to you all for the great advice. It's really helpful for us in planning our trip.

Cheers!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

You say water but not snorkeling/diving, culture and country. Sounds like a Placencia Village vacation. This little village of around 1300 residents has a tourist element but you will experience day to day life there, especially throughout the daytime and you can have tours like visiting the howler monkeys in their natural habitat, excursions to Maya ruins, hike in the Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve where you can swim in waterfalls and/or float down the river in a tube, fishing extraordinaire, day trips to islands or an overnight stay.

Easy daily access to all of these things from there. I must admit that I am prejudiced to Placencia, but I have been in many places throughout the country and Placencia is my favorite. Love the locals there too.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

Thanks again for the info. Really appreciated and lots to consider.

8. Re: Where to go and stay in Belize- travelling in April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 09:15