We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hostels

Brunswick, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
hostels

I need some tips on staying at hostels in Belize. We are planning on staying in Belize City, San Pedro, Caye Caulker, San Ignacio, Placencia and Hopkins. We will be staying a couple of nights in each city. Do we need to book hostels in each city in advance or can we just find a place once we get there? What is the best way to do this??

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,422 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hostels

Belize doesn't have much in the way of youth hostels in the traditional sense. For what it's worth, I'd avoid Belize City and leave off San Pedro if you're on a budget. For the other 4 you can look up budget and mid-range lodging options using the link below. Happy trails!

www.belizeexplorer.com

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hostels

Belize City -- No hostels that I know of. There are a few cheap guesthouses; Smokin Balam might be the best one. Seaside Guesthouse might have dorm beds, but I would avoid Belize City.

San Pedro -- I think Pedro's has dorm beds plus some lower budget rooms. You will probably need to book at busy times of the year (unfortunately, you didn't mention your travel dates).

San Pedro does not have a lot of lower budget accommodation, so you will have to book to make sure you get one of the few lower budget rooms. If you don't reserve in advance, and don't get a cheap room, there will still be plenty of accommodation, but at a slightly higher price.

Caye Caulker -- You definitely have to reserve in advance at Yuma's House Hostel; maybe not at Bella's Backpackers unless it's a busy travel period (Dec to April).

San Ignacio -- Probably not necessary to reserve in advance, but the Hi-Et always seems to be busy. Bella's is another hostel -- I don't know about that one. Tropicool is a lower budget hotel/guesthouse; you should be OK without advance booking.

Placencia -- I don't know any hostels there, but Lydia's Guesthouse might be the best option.

Hopkins -- Funky Dodo is the hostel, but I don't know how busy it is. I'd guess that you wouldn't need to reserve in advance because Hopkins is a little bit less popular than other places in Belize.

If you want to check in advance, look up the number in a phone book and call.

Edited: 28 December 2012, 16:19
3. Re: hostels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2013, 10:17