We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

Seattle
Level Contributor
369 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye?

And are their nice hotels by Ramon's and Banyan Bay beach? Of if not, what is the best way to get to these beaches if you are staying in Ambergris Caye.

Also, we are a family with a 5 year old. Never been to Belize, we don't know anything about it. Which is better Ambergris Caye/San Pedro or Placencia?

I want nice beaches, and want to be able to see some cool Mayan ruins, and do the Mayan cave expoloring, whatever else people do in Belize, as I will probably never come back. If you will never get to come back to Belize, which would you go to and why?

I like luxury, nice beaches, and adventure (but can't really adventure with a 5 year old). We like exotic, be able to mix in with the locals - less touristy.

We only have 5 full nights (not incl travel days).

MayaWalk Tours
Caverns & Caves, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Eco Tours, Archaeology Tours
Belize Food Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

San Pedro is the name of the town on the caye (island) called Ambergris Caye.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,703 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

Ramon's and Banyan Bay are both nice hotels/resorts. Banyan Bay's units are two bedroom condos. Ramon's has some suites, but, it's mostly hotel rooms.

Just south of Banyan Bay are Grand Colony Island Villas. More upscale condos, but, no restaurant on site. Easy walk to Banyan Bay though.

Although I prefer Ambergris, with just five days, your time may be better spent in Placencia. Trips to the ruins and jungle will be closer.

The beaches in Placencia are lovely, picture postcard pretty.

Look at Chabil Mar or Turtle Inn to stay at. I'd recommend staying close to the village of Placencia at the south end of the peninsula, but, there are nice properties further up the peninsula as well. I'd rent a car if I was staying outside the village.

prarie village, ks
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

We stayed at Ambergris Caye. With a five year old I would not stay there if you want many pretty beaches. Many are filled with sea weed and trash. So sad they do not take better care of their beautiful beaches, or what could be.

4. Re: What is the difference between San Pedro and Ambergris Caye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 06:17