We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Prague
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

I tried this in the Guatemala forum but didn't get much feedback, so I thought I'd try in the Belize one.

I've been searching all over the internet but I can't find any up-to-date information, so I thought someone here could help. We are planning to rent a car in Cancun from Caribbean Rent a Car (which allows their cars to cross borders) and drive to Belize. We would like to visit Flores and Tikal as well.

The rental car company says that Guatemala requires a notarized affidavit or else they will not allow the car into Guatemala. However, this costs $150 and takes 48 hours to process, which means that we would need to hang out in Cancun until it is ready.

The company also admits that many people do not bother to get the affidavit. Does anyone have experience with this? Is it possible to take a Mexican rental car into Guatemala without having the affidavit?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Only Crystal Auto allows their vehciles over the border, but there is no insurance available in Guate, so not a good idea

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Actually, several companies from Cancun allow their cars to be taken over the border from Belize to Guatemala. Two that I have found so far are Caribbean and Prime (a.k.a. Avant). Both say that the affidavit is needed, and it seems that Prime/Avant will arrange it prior to my arrival, so I don't have to return to Cancun to pick it up. But I have also heard that no one asks about the affidavit, so I thought I'd see if anyone has experience on the border before plunking down the $150.

Regarding insurance, I know that I can purchase Belizean insurance on the border (or at least everyone says that - please correct me if I am wrong). This isn't possible on the border between Belize and Guatemala?

I'm trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle to bring the rental car to Guatemala, or if I should arrange to leave it in San Ignacio for a few days and arrange transport to Tikal and Flores from local companies. I want to do at least one night in each.

Thanks!

Indianapolis Indiana
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

We just crossed the border with a rental car and you most definitely will need the affidavit. The border crossing officials will ask for it and it is part of your paperwork.

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

@Indy1710, thanks for the confirmation! In that case, I will definitely will get it.

What about insurance on the rental car for Guatemala? Were you able to buy it at the border or did you arrange it ahead of time? And how was the driving in Guatemala?

Thanks!

Indianapolis Indiana
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

We did not get any additional insurance. Crystal didn't seem worried about it and they've been letting cars cross for many many years and not once have had a problem. I had hoped that my credit card rental car insurance would still work, but did not confirm that. I guess the slow pace and low stress infected us, and we just didn't worry about it!

The driving in Guatemala was easy! The majority of the trip is through rural areas so not much traffic. People mostly drive motorcycles. The roads are all in very good condition with the exception of a very short (maybe 1/4 mile) area that isn't paved. We enjoyed the drive!

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Just to confirm what the other poster wrote: yes, an affidavit is most definitely needed. We would not have gotten into either Belize or Guatemala without it. We rented from Caribbean Car Rental, which provides the one for Belize for free but charges $150 to add Guatemala to it (it is the same paper). You can read my full experiences with driving a Mexican rental car to Guatemala here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292002-i1599-k671…

Ukiah, California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

so you didnt have to return the car to cancun?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Yes, I did. They don't do one-way rentals.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Hi! thank you for the information. I have one more question to JeffinPrague - when you arrived Mexico all the documents (including affidavit for Guatemala) were ready? or you need to wait for it 2-3 days?

Prague, Czech...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affidavit needed when taking rental car to Guatemala?

Cześć, Agnieszka!

No, the documents were not ready. They have to be made out for a particular car, and rental companies don't like to reserve a specific car for you. You don't know the exact car you'll be renting until you arrive. But it wasn't a problem, because Caribbean Car Rental had an office in Tulum, and we were planning on spending a few days there, so they filed the papers when we picked up the car and then we picked up the affidavit at their Tulum office a few days later.

One rental company, Avant Car Rental, offered to prepare the documents ahead of time, but there weren't a lot of reviews of them, so I decided to go with Caribbean. As you can read from my other post, the car wasn't the greatest, so I guess it wouldn't have been much worse to go through Avant.

Here is the website for Avant, if you want to try to talk to them:

http://www.avantrentacar.com/