We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

We are headed to Belize in July. Doing a jungle/beach combo stay. Should we rent a car right at the airport and keep until we go home (10 days) or is it not necessary in Belmopan and can a golf cart or public transport be sufficent enough near Almond beach? We had adventures planned but that transport portion is covered.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

I prefer local buses and the occasional taxi or shuttle for when the bus schedules don't meet my needs. Others may feel differently but we've spent 3 vacations of 3-4 weeks each in Belize and have never been sorry.

My photos with blog and travelogue links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there. Happy trails!

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

In Hopkins, if you're just staying in one place, you probably won't need a car.

If you want to do some exploring around the region, a car is a good idea because bus service is not frequent. Taxis are and option -- hire them as required for a day.

You mentioned Belmopan. I find I don't need a car there (use taxis around town), but I guess it depends an what you're doing there.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Thank you! It sounds like we can get away with local transport but are wondering if its just more cost effective to get the car for the whole week. I dont know what Taxis or buses charge. I know just with the current transport fees from both hotels, its already at almost $500. So maybe car would be better. We do want to explore a bit. How are gas prices and are has stations frequent?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Buses are cheap - a few bucks per hour or 2. Private shuttles and car rentals are both spendy options. This is a great site for transportation info:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Premium gasoline: BZ$11.18 per gallon

Regular gasoline: BZ$10.78 per gallon

Diesel: BZ$10.80 per gallon

These are the prices in Belize City; prices may be higher in the districts due to transportation costs.

Exchange rate: BZ$2 = US$1

The buses work out to be about BZ$1 per 10 miles; however, as I said, they're not very frequent to/from Hopkins.

Edited: 04 February 2013, 22:59
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

Cars are so expensive, that unless you really want one, you don't need one. Gas is pricey too, like mentioned above.

8. Re: Is A Car Needed For Belmopan/Hopkins Area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2014, 05:15